Quantcast
Old underappreciated technology?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old underappreciated technology?

Old underappreciated technology?

Recently I bought a new phone and as usual when you get something new you look forward to it, but for probably the first time ever when buying a new phone, I was actually a little sad to see the end of my old one. I had an HTC Hero and this thing was basically bulletproof, never let me down at all and never went wrong. This got me thinking that it is pretty cool when you can become attached to something so impersonal and despite something not being as flashy as when it came out, you still admire how reliable it is

So the point of this thread. Does anyone else have any electronic devices or anything like that that they've had for a long time that perhaps have sort of been forgotten about that wish to sing the praises of and never want to replace?

Tube amps, record players, analog recordings. These audio components are still treasured by many of us. Interestingly, NAD (a Canadian company) has made both an amplifier and box that does DAC (digital to analog conversion) which "unpacks" mp3 digital files and gives them back the range and complexity of analog recordings. Peachtree audio has a similar amplifier and speakers system. Fatman makes tube amplifiers that dock your iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Tube amps, record players, analog recordings. These audio components are still treasured by many of us. Interestingly, NAD (a Canadian company) has made both an amplifier and box that does DAC (digital to analog conversion) which "unpacks" mp3 digital files and gives them back the range and complexity of analog recordings. Peachtree audio has a similar amplifier and speakers system. Fatman makes tube amplifiers that dock your iPod.
    Ditto!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I never became attached to a cell phone. That is probably the reason why I don't own one.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I would also agree with the stereo comments. Some days I search eBay just to dream about McIntosh equipment in all their tubular glory, and I have also looked at that Fatman set up.

Another 'advance' that I don't care for are the electric switches that move the seats back and forth in cars. I like the simple latches that let you freely move the seat quickly without waiting forever and having the car on. Also super complicated washer and dryers that try to 'understand' your clothes drive me nuts. I was very sad the day my old one broke.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

x4 on the audio gear. Sadly my 29 year old tt is now out of commission, so I need to find someone to rehab it, or go for a new one.

I'll throw in cars as well. The newest we have is on 04, but I really like driving the 87 the best; no power steering, limited brake boost, no stability management, etc.

I hate electric can openers. My wrist still works fine.

-AJ

Windows XP. While not a Bill Gates fanboy, I gotta say he really hit it out of the park on that one.

Not electronics, I know, but close enough.

The lightbulb, water heater, house heater, internet. Some of those aren't completely electronic, but have electric componenets. All of which I am very grateful for.

Hand tools of all varieties. Skip the ********, stop setting up things, just do the work.

Swiss army knives. They'll put up with more than you think.

My old 1992 Honda Accord DX. Ran great, and got 28mpg when I sold it for $800. It had 336,000 miles on it.

Manual transmissions in general. You can drive them when they are broken, what's better than that?!

Toilets. Seriously, I am constantly boggled by how amazing it is that there is a thing we use every day that has such a serious impact on our level of disease and contamination, it basically makes our waste magically disappear, and it's powered by a clever arrangement of pipes, and nothing else.

Truth is, I've not found much love for electronics. I kind of feel like the more time goes on, the better they get. It's the stuff BEFORE the digital world that blows it out of the water. We traded quality of life for quantity of life.