Metro DC Food & Cooking Show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
Do I remember someone posting about this show from last year? I wouold like to have a little inside information if anyone has some they would like to share.

Question...I am seriously considering attending this show in November, is there a knife maker, or other vendor, here who would like to share the space with me? I am looking at a 10 x 10 corner booth which will give adequate frontage for both of our products.

If there is anyone interested, send me an email or call 336 four three one 0436.

FWIW, I talked to the organizer who contacted David, and she comfirmed they had room for a knife vendor/ maker or two at this point, or a knife sharpener/ maker. I asked about someone selling food products as well, and they would need to examine on a case-by-case basis, as they are trying to limit the number of vendors selling similar food items, as last year almost all were selling jams/ jellies and BBQ sauces.

So this is really begging for a maker to show off his wares on a backdrop of beautiful BoardSmith cutting boards. And I can bring an induction burner or electric skillet so some food can get cut/ chopped and then cooked in order to draw more people over to the booth.

Like your thinking David.

I like WildBoars thinking as well and I appreciate his offer of help during the show as well. Could be a fun a profitable two days effort. But I may have to drop the idea since no one has expressed even a slight interest. I need to make a final decision by May 1st.

David, there's a good chance most of the knifemakers and other vendors are not checking this thread. It may take sending some PMs/ emails.

I tell you what though, if Dave Martell was thinking about heading down this way to give sharpening lessons at a restaurant, I could see how he could make a long weekend out of it and show off some of his knifes, his rehandling and his sharpening services to 20K + people at the show, and run the sharpening class at the restaurant all in one trip... :knight:

with all that going on he can even take it as a tax write off.

Last edited:
Been negligent in updating this thread. We made it happen -- there will be a booth at the show. David Smith will have an awesome display of his cutting boards, and I will be there showing off wares from a handful of knife-related craftsmen + introducing unsuspected showgoers to the wonders of burl :cool2:

And my wife will be pitching in by baking some bread, scones, biscotti, etc. that we will hand out as tasting samples in order to get people up close to the booth.

I made up a web site (www.wildboarskitchen.com) for my 'company'; the info on the craftsmen is on the Our Friends page.

So if you are in the DC area, come visit us on November 3 or 4!

That's awesome!! I would definitely be there if I were on the east coast. Hope you have fun, and good luck!

Looks like a great show. wish I could be there!

I hope the weekend is a HUGE success, on every level. The web site looks great. Thanks Dave, and Dave for putting this together.

I will be there in spirit, a few of the knives made the trip to the Metro DC Food & Cooking Show ;) as well as a couple of pieces from Lisa as well!!

On the short list of knives from HHH.
The "Out of this world" Galaxy pattern gyuto.
The "Tsunami Suji" With hippo ivory handle from Son and wood from Mark.
And last buy not least One of the Scottish Dubhs with musk ox horn handles.

I'm in the DC area, and am in the market for a Suji - any pics of that "Tsunami Suji"? Any other suji's that will likely make an appearance?

The boards are finished and packed into their containers and all the containers are in the van along with table and all the things I will need. (Oh my aching back! I'm happy we will have union people there to unload and reload.) For all practical purposes I am ready to go but not until tomorrow morning about 6 am.

One thing I need to do is acknowledge David (WildBoar) for all his efforts to bring this event together for all of us. He worked a ton to make it possible and I want him to know here on the forum how much I appreciate his efforts. Even if I bring everything back I will still count this as a success due to his efforts. Thanks! See you tomorrow!

BTW 66 boards and 14 lazy susans. A very full van.

wow hope I can see some pics of the table, should look good.
Gratz both on getting this together.

Good luck everyone !!!
Pics!
Pics!
Pics!
PLEASE!!!!!!

Sounds great, have a great time everyone! David, I hope you wno't need help carrying the few unsold pieces home ;)

Stefan

got to thank Dave and David for doing all of this and also my Kelly as i have been sick as a dog the last 4 days (she worked her job then drove me and knives to south DC last night )

good luck guys and dont let anyone get hurt with any sharps

I stopped over there before work today. The boards and knives look great. The people coming by the booth had a bunch of questions and their seemed to be a fair amount of interest.

.......On the short list of knives from HHH.
The "Out of this world" Galaxy pattern gyuto.
The "Tsunami Suji" With hippo ivory handle from Son and wood from Mark.
And last buy not least One of the Scottish Dubhs with musk ox horn handles.

:needpics

good luck guys and dont let anyone get hurt with any sharps
There were a couple people who now belong to your knives :thumbsup:

And don't be surprised if a dozen or so pics show up on the internet of people holding the tuna sword while wearing big, big smiles! We have an awesome display of some of the most famous KKF custom knives, plus a beautiful knife roll, great handle wood and some beautiful jewelry.

No time for pics until probably Monday :(

And we had two KKF members stop in and visit today!

glad i made it down today to see the most frighting thing maybe ever (spinning girl with tuna sword in hand :bigeek: ) i do think this show has alot of good things going for it and plan to join in next year .

It was great having Butch show up this afternoon. We got to intorduce a lot of people to the wonderful world of custom knife and knife modifications/ accessories. And BoardSmith's cutting boards caught a lot of eyes. One board was on display yesterday and this morning, and had almost no interest. Then my mom decided to buy it, and three times in the next hour booth visitors fell for it and wanted to buy it :biggrin:

I'll post a few pics in a day or two. It was a long weekend!

Dave, Awesome. Sounds like it could not have went any better! Congrats to you and Dave.

Thanks for showing off some of our work and the work and wares of the great craftsmen and women here on the forum! I cant wait to see the pictures and hear more!

God Bless
Randy

Well, the show is over and I am dead tired. We were able to set up the booth on Friday with the final touches being made on Saturday morning before the show. Sine it didn't happen without photos, here are the photos I took.

Sorry, hit the submit buttom in error. Can't enter photos here so I will do that in my sub-forum.

I wish I was able to attend things like this show... It doesn't seem to happen north of the 49th, at least not where I can get to it.

I want to thank Dave and David for doing this, and allowing me to be a small part of it. If it happens again next year, I will be more prepared, a if if my new job ever materializes, maybe afford to get there!

Now, where are the pics! ;)

Back