Quantcast
tweaking the work of others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tweaking the work of others

tweaking the work of others

So every once in a while I get in a situation where I'm thinking about tweaking a knife someone else made. I never quite feel great about it regardless of the outcome. What do you do with a "custom" that could use a little work?

Engorged Member
    tune it up. Bottom line, its still a tool. I got into this "knife thing" 5 years ago because I was sick of bad knives and was looking for something better. Im still looking for the best performing knife still. If you can get me closer to that goal, then more power to you.

much more awesomer
    The only things I want to "tune" right off the bat are the sharp edges on the spine and choil. I know to use lots of painter's tape on the blade and ferrule/handle, but I'm still worried I'll f--- something up. What grades of paper work best on Japanese steels and irons?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Not a custom, but my Asai Kagayaki AS gyuto had a very coarse belt finish.
    After i refinished with West/dry up to 800 it feels like a different knife.
    Far less sticky and the patina is more even as well.
    I experienced no moral dilemma while performing the above..

Lars

Be careful going this route. Sooner or later you will start contemplating making your own.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

You know, that's the reason I sold my Shig. I started thinking that I could thin it a bit to see if that would improve it's cutting performance, and at that point I decided I didn't want to have to pay $500 and still thin out of the box. I figured I'd get more for it leaving the "pristine" Shig geometry and could buy a cheaper knife somewhere else to modify.

Engorged Member
    I guess the converse to all of this is the 270mm TKC gyuto I bought used that someone had "tuned up.". It needed to lose about 3mm from the edge and wasn't ever going to have its original geometry. It still works well but ...

I have thought about it. Done it a couple times, not on customs though. The most I would do for a custom might be thin it out slightly more behind the edge. If I wanted a change I discuss it with the maker.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    You know, that's the reason I sold my Shig. I started thinking that I could thin it a bit to see if that would improve it's cutting performance, and at that point I decided I didn't want to have to pay $500 and still thin out of the box. I figured I'd get more for it leaving the "pristine" Shig geometry and could buy a cheaper knife somewhere else to modify.
    That is probably a main reason I stopped buying knives.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I love it. Few things are as satisfying as fixing a knife.

+ Reply to Thread