Quantcast
Sushi attempt: Part 1. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sushi attempt: Part 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachowder View Post
    What rice vinegar do you suggest? There are often classes at a Viking cooking school and sur la table near me...I will break down one day and tak one if I could find a good place to buy sushi grade fish. Any suggestions on that from anyone? I am in the western Philly burbs...sorry to hijack mike
    Try catalina offshore products. I've bought from them before, when I used to live in Indiana. It was a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    I gave up trying inside out rolls... Always made a mess with no benefit. Keeping the hands and knife wet with cold water helps with the sticking. My first try I did salmon skin and cucumber, wanted to stay away from the raw fish as I hadn't found a decent supplier yet and hey I can get it for free at the super market. Looks like you did better than I did.
    Inside out rolls are a not nicer and cleaner if you take your sushi rolling mat and cover it in cling film. The film keeps the rice from sticking into the mat, and gives you a nice even form.

When you go to cut the roll, cover the roll in a bit of cling film, and then shape the roll with the mat one last time. Then cut the roll through the cling film. simply pull off the cling film, and you'll have a nicely cut inside out roll.

much more awesomer
    That's how all the "sushi" counter ladies at all the supermarkets and buffet restaurants around here do it. FWIW, not a single one of these women I've spoken to are Japanese. Usually Chinese or Vietnamese, depending on the part of town. NTTAWWT
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Hmm. The sushi at supermarkets and buffets around here is pretty um... bad.
    Len

much more awesomer
    Ahhhhyup.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by Pachowder View Post
    What rice vinegar do you suggest? There are often classes at a Viking cooking school and sur la table near me...I will break down one day and tak one if I could find a good place to buy sushi grade fish. Any suggestions on that from anyone? I am in the western Philly burbs...sorry to hijack mike
    I would recommend Mitsukan/Mizkan of the generally available brands.

http://www.mizkan.com/JapaneseCondim...ctsAndFlavors/

I found this market just searching through Google. It looks like it's east of Philly.

http://www.maidookini.com/e/update/index.htm
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I'm just skimming the thread but did anyone mention not to cook sushi rice until it's soaked for 30 min?

Rice is just as touchy as leavened bread or noodles. Different brands, new crops, weather, all have big effects on rice. I make 30 cup batches 5-12 times a day, and I'm always adjusting 1/4 cup water more or less.

Also when you cut the cooked rice...biggest revelation I had was this: First cut be VERY thorough and separate every grain...then the next 2 times you flip and check for problem areas but have almost no need to cut it.

If you are unsure how wet you hands should be when forming rice...run them under cold water and then clap loudly once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Mike, One thing I will mention is that Soy sauce comes in many many different qualities. Like most things in life there are a range of varieties. Go to Whole Foods and pick up this brand of Soy called Shoyu

Product Description
    • Unpasteurized - Fresh & Alive!
    • Made with mountain spring water
    • Naturally low in sodium
    • Naturally aged over two summers in 150-yr-old cedar kegs
    • No added alcohol or preservatives
    • Certified Organic
    • Certified Kosher by Kof-K

The Only Soy Sauce that's Fresh and Alive!

The spring water used to make Ohsawa® Organic Nama® Shoyu comes from a small Japanese mountain village called Kamiizumisui ("God Spring"). Dr. Masaru Emoto, Director of the Hado Institute in Tokyo and author of Hidden Messages in Water, has water crystal photographs from this spring that reflect its beneficial effects. Optimal well-being literally comes from good vibrations. When we take in good vibrations, they correct distorted frequencies within our cells, assisting our health and healing. Kamiizumisui water has been filtered through Chichibu paleozoic granite strata slowly for 1,400 years. It is scientifically proven to be "rare water, full of life-energizing force," with twice the surfactant potency and 18% more enzyme activity than ordinary water. Its pH is very close to that of the human body.

Enjoy Ohsawa® Organic Nama® Shoyu's full-bodied flavor and exquisitely delicate bouquet, whether you're using it at the table or in cooking.

Organic, Macrobiotic, Vegan, Raw, Kosher

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Mine-Natu...349574&sr=8-11

OMG you will be blown away. I'm so addicted that I bring my own soy in with me when visiting my sushi chef. OK Sometimes I bring my knife too, please don't hold that against me

There's something to energy water. Can't disregard it totally..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAvzsjcBtx8

Making your own seasoning is the best way to control the finished product. An easy recipe I used to use when I worked with sushi was 1 part rice vinegar, to two parts aji-mirin, reduced by half (or 1 part rice vinegar to 1 part 'mirin cooking sauce'). If you'd rather not go with that, then marukan seasoned rice wine vinegar (for sushi) is my choice for quick and easy.

Can you name the rice you're using? There's a bunch of american grown brands of short grain rice so if you can specify I might be able to help you out more. Typical brands include kokuho, tamaki, botan calrose, and nashiki to name a few.

Rinse the rice in a fine colander until the water runs clear; as many times as it takes. Cold water only. The rice is the most significant part of the sushi making process. Individuals spend years apprenticing under masters, rinsing and cooking the rice, before they even touch a knife. The best analogy I can think of is rice is almost like salt, in its importance of driving and supporting the delicate flavors of raw seafood. The best of the best of them use a solid pressue rice cooker. I personally use a lihom pressure/microwave cooker.

To cool the rice, you need a wide based container with shallow walls so heat can rapidly escape. A fan would be fantastic but not necessary if you're only making enough rice for yourself or a small family. Add the sauce and "cut" with a paddle; don't toss and smash. When you do, you crush and mush the grains together making starchy mashed rice which will end up being really sticky regardless of the presence of water and sauce. Think of it as each grain of rice having a glaze of seasoned vinegar around it; kind of like a potato has that glossy skin around it. When you mash that potato all the starch comes out. You mash it more and it gets overworked and stodgy.

Nori! The fun yet not-so-fun part. You can buy nori in full and half sheets, or full sheets that are segmented for multi-purpose use. For regular maki rolls, you use half sheets. With extremely gentle hands, make a "pillow" of rice, about 2-3 ounces in weight, and gently pat it across the top making a sort of bed. Then, using your fingers, pull the rice down to cover the rest of the nori, leaving about a 1/4 to a 1/2 an inch of space. This is a good video on the overall process, although I wish the camera went a little closer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K729GqTf2pk

Then, simply flip the sheet over and fill the roll-to-be with whatever you'd like! When you go to roll and close the maki roll, start with the side you left space. Roll it with your hands and close. With the seam side down, use a plastic wrapped bamboo sushi mat and gently apply pressure using your middle fingers and thumbs on each side, and your index fingers on top; you're going to simultaneously apply gently pressure on the sides of the roll as well as on top to secure the roll from opening, as well as the shape of the roll.

Now, you can pick up your knife and cut it! Dip the tip of your yanagiba, sujihiki, kiritsuke, or what ever, in water, pull up, and let the water bead drip down the edge point. That's all the water you need to cut the roll. Limit yourself to one, swift motion per cut; no sawing. Cut it into however many pieces you want; I like to go with eight. Assemble which ever way you'd like and you're done!

Personal best condiments for me are a very good bottle of soy sauce, and real wasabi root. No fuss
    Respect the product, support the purveyors, cook with humility.

Sorry to resurrect a real old thread, but i am looking for more sauce recipes, any ideas folks? I am looking specifically for something i can drizzle over the rolls.

+ Reply to Thread