Quantcast
Sushi attempt: Part 1.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sushi attempt: Part 1.

Sushi attempt: Part 1.

Ok...so i decided to finally bite it and make my own sushi. I figured i would start with frozen crab sticks, before i waste some good fish. Making rice(first time ever making rice of any kind) is easy, as is everything else...But how do you get the rice to not be so sticky? It was so sticky, the rolls were hard to cut. Anyway i made a few sauces by experiment. First one was:Sake, Mirin, sesame seed oil, Srirachi, soy, wasabi and rice wine vinegar. Second was just soy, mirin and wasabi.

I need to figure out a few new sauces.
    I also tried the crazy usuba cut on the cucumber...That is tough lol.
    So...how horrible did i do?

Mike, One thing I will mention is that Soy sauce comes in many many different qualities. Like most things in life there are a range of varieties. Go to Whole Foods and pick up this brand of Soy called Shoyu

Product Description
    • Unpasteurized - Fresh & Alive!
    • Made with mountain spring water
    • Naturally low in sodium
    • Naturally aged over two summers in 150-yr-old cedar kegs
    • No added alcohol or preservatives
    • Certified Organic
    • Certified Kosher by Kof-K

The Only Soy Sauce that's Fresh and Alive!

The spring water used to make Ohsawa® Organic Nama® Shoyu comes from a small Japanese mountain village called Kamiizumisui ("God Spring"). Dr. Masaru Emoto, Director of the Hado Institute in Tokyo and author of Hidden Messages in Water, has water crystal photographs from this spring that reflect its beneficial effects. Optimal well-being literally comes from good vibrations. When we take in good vibrations, they correct distorted frequencies within our cells, assisting our health and healing. Kamiizumisui water has been filtered through Chichibu paleozoic granite strata slowly for 1,400 years. It is scientifically proven to be "rare water, full of life-energizing force," with twice the surfactant potency and 18% more enzyme activity than ordinary water. Its pH is very close to that of the human body.

Enjoy Ohsawa® Organic Nama® Shoyu's full-bodied flavor and exquisitely delicate bouquet, whether you're using it at the table or in cooking.

Organic, Macrobiotic, Vegan, Raw, Kosher

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Mine-Natu...349574&sr=8-11

OMG you will be blown away. I'm so addicted that I bring my own soy in with me when visiting my sushi chef. OK Sometimes I bring my knife too, please don't hold that against me

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hold nothing against you I have taken a few knives to my local sushi bar...Including the one in the picture lol

Thanks for the advice

Looks like a good first attempt. I am sure people will chime in with good advice. This might help in regards to the rice being too sticky. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ct-sushi-rice/

Mike, sushi rice, AFAIK, should be sticky. Try wetting the knife before and between cuts to minimize the rice sticking to the blade.

It is supposed to be sticky. Sushi rice is also usually coated with a vinegar mixture.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own vinegar mixture, you can buy seasoned rice wine vinegar which is similar to the mixture used for sushi. In fact, most seasoned rice wine vinegars have recipes for sushi rice on the bottle.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

The rice looks a bit heavy handed. Go thinner next time. That's prolly why it was difficult to cut. Also, rinse the rice in a bowl and polish in your hands then strain it and repeat until the water runs clear, about 3-4 times. For the shari, boil rice wine vinegar sugar and salt until fully incorporated. It should taste sweet, tart and a little salty. Then chill the mixture. When the rice is done, in a wooden bowl with a wooden spoon or paddle, pour some cold shari over the rice and fold it over and over towards yourself while spinning the bowl away from yourself until glossy and sticky. This also helps stop the cooking process of the rice and is sometimes done in front of a fan.

Dynamite sauce:
    Mayo
    Sriracha
    Toasted Sesame Oil (very little)
    Hon Dashi
    Kosher Salt
    White Pepper

Enjoy
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Keep your hands damp - not dripping wet, but damp - and that will really help you when handling the rice, and then try not to take forever to form the nigiri nugget or spread the rice out for the roll
    Len

much more awesomer
    Ooh, thanks for the sauce recipe.

I mentioned elsewhere I picked up a sharkskin oroshigane this week, so now I have to order some wasabia from the west coast.

http://www.sushivids.com/ hasn't been updated in a while, but I found it very useful, learning by observing the techniques (as I do by observing yours).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Thanks guys! I did add the shari to the rice as it was cooling. I tried the wetting the knife thing, and it still was sticking...almost tearing it. Thanks Theory for the dynamite sauce recipe Love that stuff. How long is the rice supposed to cool before using? I think i let it sit about 25 minutes after i was done folding it. Maybe i will try to polish it better next time, i did it 3 times, but it was still a touch milky.

+ Reply to Thread