Quantcast
Ever fire someone and...... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever fire someone and......

When I was working as a prep cook in grad school for clinical psychology I got a call from the restaurant about how to deal with a clearly off balance cook they needed to fire. I told them I'd get back them in three years after I got my degree and then gave them the best advise I could. I knew they guy's quirks and it helped diffuse the situation, but for a few days people were worried he'd go home, get high and come back.

IMHO restaurant people are a unique group, which makes them so great but a lot are unpredictable. The pace, pressure, long night hours, cash business, high exposure to alcohol and transient nature of the field attracts fast-lane folks. It's tough to put together a stable crew without having a few hot-heads among them.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

People are nuts. Not just people in the food services business, hence the phrase, "Going Postal".
    This is not a happy economy/country/civilization; there are a lot of unbalanced folks out there, not just in food service.
    If you're rich, you can effectively insulate yourself from the negative effects of capitalist society, but, for most people, you just have to keep your head down.
    So, maybe a bullet-proof vest for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    People are nuts. Not just people in the food services business, hence the phrase, "Going Postal".
    This is not a happy economy/country/civilization; there are a lot of unbalanced folks out there, not just in food service.
    If you're rich, you can effectively insulate yourself from the negative effects of capitalist society, but, for most people, you just have to keep your head down.
    So, maybe a bullet-proof vest for Christmas?
    Yeah, I've worked with post office employees and understand the meaning of the phrase. But most of them are good salt-of-the-earth type people, which is true for most folks. There are plenty of great people around, you just have to hang out with them. This forum is a good example. Money usually isn't a factor.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Yeah, I've worked with post office employees and understand the meaning of the phrase. But most of them are good salt-of-the-earth type people, which is true for most folks. There are plenty of great people around, you just have to hang out with them. This forum is a good example. Money usually isn't a factor.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with culture but not much.As you said most people are good.Even with the pressure when things can get heated,it blows over.The truly unstable who are prone to extreme are rare,but it only takes one.

I carry a .380 in my chef pants pocket; a nine with a thirty round clip in my glove box and a carbine riffle in the trunk.

I've pissed off my share of employees....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I believe I have had to lay off about 20-25 people over the years.
    Not once have I feared for my own security or life, not even for a second.
    What I have done though, is worry about the unfortunate people who just lost their jobs.
    That I have done plenty..

It is without doubt the single worst thing one has to as a manager, and it gets to me every time.
    Still, if it is needed, one simply has to step up and do the deed.

Yah, that sucks....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I can imagine knife fights... but packing a weapon to your ex place of work... Serious issues here.

But the kitchen is already one of the few places where people get a chance despite their backstory. Guess that is a part of the reason so much madness happens?

...and I thought musicians were crazy. Then I read that Bourdain book.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

+ Reply to Thread