Ever fire someone and......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
The next day you're scared they're going to come and shoot you? Should've brought Mr glocky to work today. Hindsight is 20/20. At least I've got a fighting chance with some sharp knives :)

Yeah; we had two people last year we fired, as both were letting their mental unstableness show more and more often. They both were very upset at being fired, and they both owned multiple guns. I'd say a few of us were on edge for a couple months...

ya same, you even look over your shoulder for a while. Scary feeling.

People ask me why I have a carry permit. See OP.

The next day you're scared they're going to come and shoot you? Should've brought Mr glocky to work today. Hindsight is 20/20. At least I've got a fighting chance with some sharp knives :)

There's been a couple times I've contemplated smuggling my Mossberg semi-auto 12 gauge into work after hours and stashing it under one of the prep tables in a quick release rig... Some of our dishwashers lover the last year have been highly questionable...

Sweet. Made it home alive with no incident. This isn't the first time this has been an issue in my long illustrious glamorous career, but it's been a while. I'm definitely going to be packin' on Monday. It sucks to have to look over your shoulder, but that's yet another thing they don't teach you in culinary school.
It kills me to have to deprive someone of a paycheck, but stealing liquor from a client's house on my watch(while you are secretly drinking their booze on the job at the same time) is a liability no one can dismiss. And in your mind, you've done nothing wrong and I'm the a55h0le.
Now I've gotta watch my back.
Managing people sucks. The most expensive and potentially disappointing aspect of any foodservice operation.

America seems to have anger-issues or very much paranoia indeed. No offense.
This has never been a problem at any of the places i've been. (I don't have as many years experience as you guys, but i've never seen or heard anything about this. And it seems to be quite normal judging by your replies)
Worst we've had is drunken dudes with something to prove. Or people drinking at the job.

I was involved with a full on knife fight in the kitchen. Well, sorta. He had the knife.

Yes, America does have serious anger issues. :(

Yes, America does have serious anger issues. :(

Should add that i was 30% trolling and 70% worried and curious.
Combine that with the US very, very open gun laws and it explains quite a few things.

Is this really so common that it's something to actually worry about?

Given the number of people in the country the incidents are not all that common, but there are enough that one has to keep the possibilities in mind.

I have opened restaurants all over the country and inevitably there are a few people who don't make the cut after the first week. It certainly makes you think twice when you have to make cuts in cities like Detroit and Brooklyn, but I have never had an incident.

I was involved with a full on knife fight in the kitchen. Well, sorta. He had the knife.

been there myself, boss fired a guy and walked leaving him in the kitchen by himself. told me to handle it. 6' 2" angry ex-con on work release with knives and authority issues. not a good day for Chef Son. I feel much better now!

usually a gun doesn't come into the picture, always a possibility tho. But having a knife right there even with any kind of fights can be scary.

been there myself, boss fired a guy and walked leaving him in the kitchen by himself. told me to handle it. 6' 2" angry ex-con on work release with knives and authority issues. not a good day for Chef Son. I feel much better now!

My guy was an ex con as well. Fortunately smaller than me.

I have seen alot in my 40 yrs. in Hi. hotel kit.The worst was a good friend of mine was Sous Chef at Sheraton Waikiki.A unstable cook came into the Chef's office and killed him with a knife.It was senseless & a dark day for us who knew Tom well.

When I was working as a prep cook in grad school for clinical psychology I got a call from the restaurant about how to deal with a clearly off balance cook they needed to fire. I told them I'd get back them in three years after I got my degree and then gave them the best advise I could. I knew they guy's quirks and it helped diffuse the situation, but for a few days people were worried he'd go home, get high and come back.

IMHO restaurant people are a unique group, which makes them so great but a lot are unpredictable. The pace, pressure, long night hours, cash business, high exposure to alcohol and transient nature of the field attracts fast-lane folks. It's tough to put together a stable crew without having a few hot-heads among them.

People are nuts. Not just people in the food services business, hence the phrase, "Going Postal".
This is not a happy economy/country/civilization; there are a lot of unbalanced folks out there, not just in food service.
If you're rich, you can effectively insulate yourself from the negative effects of capitalist society, but, for most people, you just have to keep your head down.
So, maybe a bullet-proof vest for Christmas?

People are nuts. Not just people in the food services business, hence the phrase, "Going Postal".
This is not a happy economy/country/civilization; there are a lot of unbalanced folks out there, not just in food service.
If you're rich, you can effectively insulate yourself from the negative effects of capitalist society, but, for most people, you just have to keep your head down.
So, maybe a bullet-proof vest for Christmas?

Yeah, I've worked with post office employees and understand the meaning of the phrase. But most of them are good salt-of-the-earth type people, which is true for most folks. There are plenty of great people around, you just have to hang out with them. This forum is a good example. Money usually isn't a factor.

Yeah, I've worked with post office employees and understand the meaning of the phrase. But most of them are good salt-of-the-earth type people, which is true for most folks. There are plenty of great people around, you just have to hang out with them. This forum is a good example. Money usually isn't a factor.

+1

Maybe it has something to do with culture but not much.As you said most people are good.Even with the pressure when things can get heated,it blows over.The truly unstable who are prone to extreme are rare,but it only takes one.

I carry a .380 in my chef pants pocket; a nine with a thirty round clip in my glove box and a carbine riffle in the trunk.

I've pissed off my share of employees....

I believe I have had to lay off about 20-25 people over the years.
Not once have I feared for my own security or life, not even for a second.
What I have done though, is worry about the unfortunate people who just lost their jobs.
That I have done plenty..

It is without doubt the single worst thing one has to as a manager, and it gets to me every time.
Still, if it is needed, one simply has to step up and do the deed.

I can imagine knife fights... but packing a weapon to your ex place of work... Serious issues here.

But the kitchen is already one of the few places where people get a chance despite their backstory. Guess that is a part of the reason so much madness happens?

...and I thought musicians were crazy. Then I read that Bourdain book.

Back