Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S30V or S35VN for my Spyderco EDC?

S30V or S35VN for my Spyderco EDC?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pickup a couple of Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folders, one for my wife and one for me. What I wondering is, is the price for the knife in S35vn worth 50% more than the S30v model. I found the S30v model on Amazon, but I've only been able to find the S35vn at Bento Box. If someone knows of a better place than Bento, please steer me in that direction.

not worth that price difference, to my mind.

From my memory (it's been a while since i sharpened S30V) the S35VN is not such a chore to sharpen. But at 50%, don't know really.

I don't have any experience (that I know of) with S35VN but cpm S30V on the Sage is a pretty nice steel for an EDC.

Tough choice. If were going custom, I'd 100% go S35VN. I've owned both and I love S35VN, but got rid of S30V.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I've got a Sebbie with S35VN. It's a nice steel that takes a good edge, but I don't know about 50% more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Tough choice. If were going custom, I'd 100% go S35VN. I've owned both and I love S35VN, but got rid of S30V.
    What is it you are doing with the knife that makes you notice a difference and what is it that you notice?

Not worth the price difference, it is easier to machine, and is tougher than S30V, marginally, it does seem to hold an edge longer, accepts a thinner edge, and isn't as prone to chipping from my testing.
    But 50%? That seems high.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

The price difference sucks, but s30v, is, IME, not a suitable steel for an EDC. It chips like crazy, and then it is very hard to sharpen those chips out. Not worth it.

s35vn is great, but at $175, I wouldn't get it, unless you just LOVE spydercos.

im not really a fan of the s30 or 35 but spyderco does a great job of HT and i worked my s30v para hard

for me i liek to get ether fine grained and ultra edge or high carbide super ware that holds an ok edge for a dam long time

the midddle of the road stuff is great for most all ppl buti lie to pick and chose what end of the spectrum i want (not liek i have jsut one pocket knife to carry )

i have s30 cpm154 M4 and s125v along with VG10 440v 3v and gin1

i think i need to make myself a new folder but im not sure the steel i want to use yet (one of these days i ll make a 3v/cpm154 powder damascuss blade )