Chosera Stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParJ

Reaction score
Hi

I got the #400, #1000 and #5000 Chosera stones and use a SS 3000 in between the 1000 and 5000. To the question... I consider replacing the SS 3000, what do you recommend, the Chosera 2000 or 3000 or maybe something else?

Cheers
Pär

I dont think you need a stone between the 1000 and 5000.

I agree i go straight from a king 1200 to my chosera 5000 and find that jump fine the choseras don't take long to polish out the coarser scratches.
I would get a higher grit finishing stone instead.
I currently use a naniwa snow white 8000 and love the results that I get with it.

Do same when I'm lazy i.e. 1000-5000 but get at better result with a stone in between. For some knife I want to stop earlier than 5k but after 1k so that's also an aspect. Got a 8000 SS for finish but to be honest I usually strops after 5k instead.

My progression is 400, 1K, 3K, 5K all chosera. I have other finishing stones. I have the 10K but I never use it. Don't like it.

My general philoshophy is more stones, less time, less steel.

So I assume you like the 3k? Out of curiosity, what do you finish with?

I really like the 3K. I also use it for a touch-up stone.

Ohira Tomae (Spelling?) J-nat, Takashima, J-nat and an Israeli-natural. In that order.

When using synthetics, I definitely prefer the Chosera.
I use 400-800-1K-5K-10K, and that seems to work just fine.
I've not yet seen the need for a stone between the 1K and the 5K really.

If you have a few stainless you may want to stop at 2000; for your carbons you may stop at 3000 + leather, or deburr and strop on 5000.

I don't generally use anything between 1 and 5k, either unless I'm sharpening a razor or something. I'd suggest trying out 1/5k edge before you move to plug something in there. Also, the 3k SS isn't like a 3k Chosera. It gives a much finer scratch pattern. The Chosera 3k gives a more aggressive feeling edge, comparatively. I think the edges from a 1k/5k Chosera plus strop would be similar in performance to a 1k Chosera, 3k SS plus strop. SS will also tend to round your edges some, if you're not careful. What will change the characteristics of your edge are really the lower grit stones rather than stuff above 1 or 2k.

Actually I do use the 1k - 5k combo quite often. Agree on the SS 3k, that's what kicked this off, it almost feels finer then the 5k and was the reason why I wanted something else in between. The SS was a baste red until I learned to use it. Killed a lot of edges for me, sort of like it now though.

So you think it would be better to invest in something between the 400 and 1000?

(yes I don't need any stone but it's fun right :)

The scratches of the 400 have a fine pattern. I go often directly from 400 to the Chosera 2000. Not just no need, but even counterproductive. More stones, more risks. Keep it simple.

Actually I do use the 1k - 5k combo quite often. Agree on the SS 3k, that's what kicked this off, it almost feels finer then the 5k and was the reason why I wanted something else in between. The SS was a baste red until I learned to use it. Killed a lot of edges for me, sort of like it now though.

So you think it would be better to invest in something between the 400 and 1000?

(yes I don't need any stone but it's fun right :)
I really like superstones, as well and I agree they aren't the easiest to sharpen on. If I was going to add something just for fun, I would get a strop and 1 mcn diamond first. After that, I'd probably get something in the 8-10 k range, esp a natural stone. I like the Awasedo from Jon and Belgian coticule. I'd also try 0.5 mcn chromium oxide for stropping. After that, I'd play around with other 400-1k stones. Then there's playing around with kasumi finishes...

I've never tried the chooseras but from what I've had of the super stones (400, 1000, 3000) I guess I didn't like them. They cut too slow and dish too fast for my liking. This would explain the rounding your edges may get from these stones. Apparently I didn't like them much as I moved on to other stones and never looked back.

I've never tried the chooseras but from what I've had of the super stones (400, 1000, 3000) I guess I didn't like them. They cut too slow and dish too fast for my liking. This would explain the rounding your edges may get from these stones. Apparently I didn't like them much as I moved on to other stones and never looked back.
I learned to sharpen on these stones and used them for a long time. They aren't that slow nor do they dish particularly quickly, in my experience. The rounding is due to softness in that they are easy to gouge, if you are not careful.

That was the very reason I gave up on using my Super Stones. They seemed a bit soft, and glaced quite quickly, Dishing and speed was also a bit of a concern with them.

The Choseras are way better in all those areas, IMHO.

I learned to sharpen on these stones and used them for a long time. They aren't that slow nor do they dish particularly quickly, in my experience. The rounding is due to softness in that they are easy to gouge, if you are not careful.

I learned to sharpen with them too but I quickly came to dislike them after trying the bester 1200 and rika 5k. The ss feel to glossy and dense with almost no feedback at all. It's like you are pushing and pushing and the edge is getting shiny but it takes forever and you can't tell what is happening the entire time. I just don't like the speed, feel and edge they give.

Back