How heavy is your suji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I made a monster suji. 320 mm (319 'cause i burned the very tip...) and 284 g w/o the handle. It works really well but definitely feels a little chunky toward the heel. I'm gonna put it on a diet and I'm wondering where I should think about stopping to refinish and test again. It's supposed to be a tall, substantial knife that can double as a sword in a pinch (j/k). So how massive is your most massive slicer?

with all the **** talking Tihn does he better.:knight:

The 5 I have are all between 270 and 320mm in length, and weigh between 140g and 250g approximately, with most of them being in the 220-230g range. The Marko and Rader are the outliers.

Harner W2 330 (310 cutting edge) 291g (has a small stainless piece in the front of the handle.
Tad Inox 300 (288 cutting edge) 131g

I have a 295mm suji very rough profiled and it is 259g.

Tinh, you started down that path???
I did. :) At some point Devin told me to put up or shut up. I gave him my blanks for HT at the Vegas show. This is the last of the four blanks I cut. This guy measures 268 g now and is pretty thin now. I can't say I really want to thin it anymore. I think it's heavy for a couple of reasons: 1. It's tall for a suji (I figured I'd mess up more once I got near the edge but I didn't.) and it doesn't narrow down as dramatically as some sujis. The other thing is I left the tang massive so I could hold it by the tang. I figure when I actually mount the handle, the blade will come down another 10 g. It is 325 mm on the edge. (I measured incorrectly.)

Since this is a list of suji measurements, I'll add that I have a whisper thin tipped Devin that is 315 mm on the edge and weighs 192 g.

Did your wife let you buy a grinder????
Nope, lol. If I ever do, I might go for the Hobbyist Craftsman thing. For now, I'm more than happy doing a little here and there using some cool steels. It's a zen thing. This suji, btw, is a monosteel blade made from Devin's mystery carbon. I used it just now so it's all different shades of blue. With the weight, I really need to put a handle on it. :)

i tend to have heavy handles but thats 90% form what there made of and 10% the fact that i make handles a bit larger then most (that said my blades are often taller then most too )

Back