New videos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Made some new videos today.

Bevel polished on JNS 1000

IMGP1568.jpg

[video=youtube;aF6G8uu_llM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF6G8uu_llM[/video]

After Red Aoto

IMGP1571.jpg

Ohira Range Suita Lv3,5

[video=youtube;lfyK_7wdMc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfyK_7wdMc0[/video]

After Ohira Range Suita

IMGP1573.jpg

Nakayama Maruka Lv 4,5

[video=youtube;pKojTs2KWb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKojTs2KWb8[/video]

After Maruka

IMGP1577.jpg

So as you can see actually 3 stone polish is enough :D

And here is bonus my Saeki video

[video=youtube;j-ZGg1i1JFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZGg1i1JFk&feature=relmfu[/video]

Nice videos :D I just wonder why there are so many scratches on the bevel when you use a 4 stone setup ... shouldn't the surface be without those if you erasede the scratches from the previously used stone before you went on to the next = end up scratchless when you hit the final polisher?

As a customer - bought a couple of stones - I actually expected an answer to my question. Seems like it's getting ignored so I will try again.

You write that one actually just need 3 stones - well 4 including your JNS 1000 - but it says that 3 is enough! When buying J-nats I would expect that a very nice finish could be expected - when I manage to get the skills. Since I'm not a hardcore sharpener - but would like to be - I look and study many pictures of stones and the way they can polish knifes. I have seen great examples ... a great one is shigefusa - their polish is out of this world :D

So when studying your pictures I looked at each one and compared the results. The JNS 1000 produce scratches - fair enough. Then the aoto is used - this create some haze. The suita makes the surface polished again which makes some of the previous scratches visible. You end up with the Maruka as the finishing stone. On this picture I actually see even more scratches ... and this is the final polish.

As mentioned in the post above I believe that one has to erase the scratches made by the previous stone before moving on to the next. This would be the case thruout the entire setup. As a beginner in this field I only can imagine what the right procedure is, but for me this 3 stone setup seems like too little - or mis-matched. Wouldn't it be better to use like a 5-6 stone setup and then be sure that all scratches would be erased properly = a perfect polish? If it would, which stones would you recommend in such setup?

Photos can lie sometimes. If you look at 1600x1200 pictures:

For ohira:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bG19ZCHfMLY/T4xQTGYTtDI/AAAAAAAAODI/ORd-GQUIv2I/s1600/IMGP1574.JPG

For nakayama:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WL9CGeuWZCw/T4xQhYWStZI/AAAAAAAAODQ/aMF6O0NQ4y4/s1600/IMGP1577.JPG

You can see that focus between the two are different. Fo Ohira's finish picture, the focus is more on the body, while for Nakayma's finish picture, the focus is a little deeper into the bevel.

But don't forget that some harder stones can scratch soft jigane. (Though I'm not implying that in this case)

Impatience is your enemy.

How can you make a statement that your novice, and straight after that you think it is impossible?

How hard could you try in the time you are actually training polishing?
You talk to a guy who polished plenty of knives and have huge knowledge, if he said three stones are sufficient, then that is so.
How do you know youre technique is right, if you have no experience? Especially the pressure applied.

Its just about the same as with knives and chefs - some thinks you have to have expensive setup of blades to work well, even though we all know its BULL SHITE.

As to the scratches, there will be some visible simply cause the background is more evenly finished.

If youre not happy after three stones, try fingerstones, one knie is around 5 hours, if your further unhappy, use cork with mud gathered.

Ater try polishing with felt pad.

I managed with three stones, I can guarantee its possible, take your time to practice!

You write that one actually just need 3 stones - well 4 including your JNS 1000 - but it says that 3 is enough! When buying J-nats I would expect that a very nice finish could be expected - when I manage to get the skills. Since I'm not a hardcore sharpener - but would like to be - I look and study many pictures of stones and the way they can polish knifes. I have seen great examples ... a great one is shigefusa - their polish is out of this world :D
you can't expect anything if you can't use them properly. I don't care if you payed $5000 if you have no idea what you are doing you will not get anything from the stones and come say they are crap. I have seen cases like that on the razor forum. The guy has no clue hoe to set a bevel but comes and say his 500 bucks Jnat can't polish the edge for the life of it.

As mentioned in the post above I believe that one has to erase the scratches made by the previous stone before moving on to the next. This would be the case thruout the entire setup. As a beginner in this field I only can imagine what the right procedure is, but for me this 3 stone setup seems like too little - or mis-matched. Wouldn't it be better to use like a 5-6 stone setup and then be sure that all scratches would be erased properly = a perfect polish? If it would, which stones would you recommend in such setup?
you do realize those are 3 independent stone mini demos?
No where did the OP say they have to be used as a set.

I am very sorry for my late reply Peco !

Those videos is max 1.5 min polishing and just a demo of a finish they make.
There is no such thing scratch free surface, to make scratches less visible you need to get them all in even direction, like Shigefusa dose.
If you twist Shigefusa knife in the light then you will see that scratches is much bigger then you expecting :D

So if you use more then 1.5 min on etch stone you will get better result :D
And as other said in that thread the harder stone bring up those scratches from previous stones and make them more visible, so you need to use more time on Harder Jnats

Those videos was just to get idea how stones work, speed and finish. I did not try to get perfect finish for that demo

Nice videos :D I just wonder why there are so many scratches on the bevel when you use a 4 stone setup ... shouldn't the surface be without those if you erasede the scratches from the previously used stone before you went on to the next = end up scratchless when you hit the final polisher?

Impatience is your enemy.

How can you make a statement that your novice, and straight after that you think it is impossible?

How hard could you try in the time you are actually training polishing?
You talk to a guy who polished plenty of knives and have huge knowledge, if he said three stones are sufficient, then that is so.
How do you know youre technique is right, if you have no experience? Especially the pressure applied.

Its just about the same as with knives and chefs - some thinks you have to have expensive setup of blades to work well, even though we all know its BULL SHITE.

As to the scratches, there will be some visible simply cause the background is more evenly finished.

If youre not happy after three stones, try fingerstones, one knie is around 5 hours, if your further unhappy, use cork with mud gathered.

Ater try polishing with felt pad.

I managed with three stones, I can guarantee its possible, take your time to practice!
You are funny, you didn't even understand what I wrote. As said before I won't go into war with you ... even though it seems like you are looking for one ;)

I am very sorry for my late reply Peco !

Those videos is max 1.5 min polishing and just a demo of a finish they make.
There is no such thing scratch free surface, to make scratches less visible you need to get them all in even direction, like Shigefusa dose.
If you twist Shigefusa knife in the light then you will see that scratches is much bigger then you expecting :D

So if you use more then 1.5 min on etch stone you will get better result :D
And as other said in that thread the harder stone bring up those scratches from previous stones and make them more visible, so you need to use more time on Harder Jnats

Those videos was just to get idea how stones work, speed and finish. I did not try to get perfect finish for that demo

Well I actually wanted to see what those stones could do and I thought it was the whole idea. Anyways, we all know how great these stones polish. So maybe you can do a real video there you show a polish from a-z. That would be interesting and a great help for me and many others I could imagine.

Well I actually wanted to see what those stones could do and I thought it was the whole idea. Anyways, we all know how great these stones polish. So maybe you can do a real video there you show a polish from a-z. That would be interesting and a great help for me and many others I could imagine.
There are vids of Maksim doing full polish, check out his channel on youtube.
But frankly by watching you will learn nothing, practice makes better.

There are vids of Maksim doing full polish, check out his channel on youtube.
But frankly by watching you will learn nothing, practice makes better.

+1 to both those statements. "Real" videos are out there.

You are funny, you didn't even understand what I wrote. As said before I won't go into war with you ... even though it seems like you are looking for one ;)

How there could be a war between us in any aspect man? You clearly have no clue what you are writing about

LOL

that would be a massacre, not a war.

I have plenty of videos where i do a-z polishing. You just need to look on my YT channel :D
I can not do it on every stone that i get, it will just take to much time. So i make small demo instead so people have idea how they are.

How there could be a war between us in any aspect man? You clearly have no clue what you are writing about

LOL
that would be a massacre, not a war.
I got cryptonite pal, so no massacre will ever happen mr. Kent

Chill out you guys. There are plenty of other places to get into that sh!t, this place doesn't need it!

Latest posts

Back