Quantcast
What to buy - 1st Carbon Knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to buy - 1st Carbon Knife

What to buy - 1st Carbon Knife

I am thinking that I want to try a carbon blade. I've been eyeing the Tojiro ITK blades since they are cheap and the reviews seem favorable.

I'm torn between the 120mm petty and the 165mm nakiri. I think that I need the petty moreso than a nakiri. There have been a few times where I would have liked a smaller knife and think that petty in white #2 could fit the bill.

I should mention that this knife will also be used for me to practice sharpening, so ease of sharpening and burr removal are important to me. My ideal budget is 50-75 tops with shipping.

Any advice is appreciated!

Given the choice between a Tojiro ITK and my choice in this price range, a Yamawaku...well, yeah. You get what I'm saying.
    The Tojiro gets nicely sharp and is stupidly thin, but there's a lot of flex in the blade and it's just a cheap knife...however, the Yama feels great in the hand, is sturdy, thin and wickedly sharp. Hands down, my choice in this price range!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks for the tip. I'm googling that maker now to see what I can find. Do you guys think I should hit up our B/S/T? I know the budget is low on this purchase, but I don't want to spend too much in case I don't like carbon or I run into some sharpening issues as I'm learning.

much more awesomer
    I don't know what's not to like about carbon. Just keep a wet dish rag and another dry cotton rag handy when using a carbon knife. I give a quick wipe with each between each vegetable type, and after raw meat I use dish soap and a rinse, then wipe dry. It's a new habit to adopt, but it's not difficult or tedious. The pluses far outweigh the minuses.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I second the Yamawaku in that price range. Blows the Tojiro ITK away. The ITK is just a clunker and stupid thick behind the edge, where the Yamawaku is actually really thin. Much superior geometry. I feel like it gets sharper too. I bought the Nakiri then followed that with a 210 yanagiba and a 165 Deba. I think they're all great deals. I also own the ITK 120 Petty and just gave away my ITK 210 Gyuto.

My experience is a lot different than Lefty as far as the Tojiro it seems. Mine have had NO flex at all and are very thick.

Also, the Kurouchi is much much better on the Yamawaku. ITK is pretty bad looking IMO
    Last edited by Ontravelling; 04-16-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Also, the Kurouchi is much much better on the Yamawaku. ITK is pretty bad looking IMO

Sounds like a bit of inconsistency in the Tojiro grind, to me. Another good one to look at might be a Tanaka KU from Mark, or eBay.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    ....Any advice is appreciated!
    A different approach, and I'd ask you to clarify your budget, and your daily users.

If your daily user is a 240 gyuto, get a 'better' quality 240 from the B/S/T forum, and screw your budget. If you like the knife, then you're done with this purchase. If you don't, then a 240 gyuto is probably one of the easier items to re sell on B/S/T. If you purchase a super budget priced blade that no one else is interested in, and don't like it, it's not going to re-sell very easily...but if you did like carbon, then you'ld probably want to step up in quality, which means this purchase would kind of be a waste....

I have an almost new 180mm Konosuke nakiri in the semi-carbon HD steel that I'm willing to part with for not much more than your stated budget. PM me if you're interested.

I'd up your budget and go with a sakai yusuke white no.2 or ashi white no.2 from jon.

What about a Watanabe? They do some pretty cheap smaller knives

+ Reply to Thread