Quantcast
smoking wood
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking wood

smoking wood

When using woods to smoke do you worry where it comes from? i have unlimited supply to apple and peach wood but this wood
    was in an apple orchard that sprayed who knows what over the years. so my question is the apple wood you can buy in a store pure? do you think
    the wood would be ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamm View Post
    ... so my question is the apple wood you can buy in a store pure? do you think
    the wood would be ok to use?
    Why did you have to go and bring that up? I was in blissful ignorance buying fruit wood from the store and now you've gone and made me think about whether it's safe to use or not.

Do you eat the fruit from the orchard? If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it especially if the wood is seasoned.

The general thinking is if the fruit was safe to eat the smoke is also- I enjoy apple wood for my pork ribs.

I have always used hickory, I guess from an environmental standpoint they probably get doused with less pesticides than fruit bearing trees. Plus I like the flavor.

It's a little rough when I inhale, so I gave it up. :biggrin2:

My suspicion is that if you are like me, the meat you smoke is much worse for your health than any residual chemicals that may be imparted from burning treated wood.

If you have access to the wood in your yard that would be great otherwise I wouldn't worry to much. The pesticides on any apples or other thin skin fruit are going to be more concentrated that what would adsorb into the wood.

I would agree that if you will eat the fruit, it's probably OK(GENERALLY). But I don't consider non-organic apples safe to eat either, so I wouldn't. I don't eat all organic(cause I can't afford to), but I used to work with industrial pesticides and herbicides, and sometimes I can identify what lingering pesticides are on the fruit at Kroger.

Seriously, Apples are one of the WORST. They have like 16 approved pesticides.

While I have bought smoking wood from Barbecues Galore, I prefer to buy wood for smoking from Farmers Markets so I can ask if the wood has been sprayed, if they can ensure that it's the specific kind of wood I want, and how long it's been since it's been cut down so I can season it more if necessary. Most of the wood I use has been unsprayed or treated and comes from certified organic farms. Sometimes, fruit vendors have the stuff around but just don't bring it to the market because it's heavy and there's limited demand for it. I recommend asking around.

I prefer peachwood. It's the best all around smoking wood for pork and chicken IMHO.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

yeah I like peach too, don't hear much about it from others though. apricot is nice as well.

I have 3 apple trees 2 cherries a peach and an apricot, so I just use the annual trimmings.

Anybody use pear? I was just thinking my sister has a pear tree over to her place, I should talk to her about getting some.

+ Reply to Thread