DFW Meetup!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Hey! :hoss:

Let's meet up, North Texans. There are enough of us now, and summer is nigh, so let's do this!

Who is interested? All hands on deck! I wanna make a day of it.

Once we figure out who is interested, we can pick a suitable date, location, etc.

If anyone has a great house for entertaining, great. I'll through my hat into the ring; I don't live in a swanky neighborhood, but I've got a fenced-in yard, a big-ish kitchen/dining area and a good size deck, and that's enough for me. I live in Hurst, so it's somewhat central.

I assume BBQ will be mandatory. :bbq::bbqsmoker:

I also would love it if people could bring their friends. Not that I think most other dude's wives would understand making a day out of knives, but I just think it'd be cool to have a variety of viewpoints.

Who's in??
:knife:

Isn't there a saying in Texas "Were in Texas is that?" when someone says were they are from, usually when some were out of state? So are you just inviting everyone?:justkidding:
Hope this happens :doublethumbsup:

Eamon,
YOU ARE A VERY BAD MAN. To drive is time and to fly is cost. Keep me posted, if the timing is right I just might do it.

PZ

Oh man, I don't expect anyone to fly in! But I doubt anyone will be upset if you do!

The weather has been great here lately, minus a bunch of tornados we had a couple of weeks ago. We should have it soon, before it gets hot! The Austin Food & Wine shindig is coming up here the weekend after next (28th) that I am covering for the paper. But after that I am free.

Anybody eles in the area going? Tim Love and Iron Chef Morimoto are both going to be there, just to name a few.

Just an open update. The meetup is postponed until at least after the Blade show, because everyone's schedule doesn't line up right now, and David Broadwell can't make it out(he's too busy before Blade, lucky dog!).

The list of attendees, for the later date, is at:
sw2geeks
bulldogbacchus
David Broadwell
John Loftis
Heath Besch
mhenry
Steve Goodson
Pabloz(who will show up unannounced in an unmarked UPS crate and pop out like a stripper in a cake)

Should be a good time! I really hope everyone can make it out, I would not want to miss any of you--given the advance notice, it should be possible to find a date that works for everyone.

Just as this thread. I'm in when a date is picked.

Depending on when this is, I could make the drive up there.

If there happens to be anyone from the RGV or somewhere in between, I wouldn't mind having someone hitch a ride for part or all of the 9 hour drive.

Day-um Paco, If you crossed Texas to come to my house, I'd probably owe you a bottle of something. I'm driving down to Rockport this weekend(again...family, you know), and do not look forward to it. I get to about Waco and then I'm done with it!

Living this far south makes any travel long and expensive, but it is nice to leave home once in a while. I haven't been to DFW since I was a kid so it would be nice to see how it has changed in the last 20 or so years.

Rockport is a much easier and quicker drive for me, about 2 and a half or three hours depending on how long I stay in CC. I know I am going to make the drive to Falfurrias in a couple of weeks for work.

I'm definitely interested. Once you set a date, I'll see if I can work out my schedule so I can make the drive from Houston.
Miles, I'll be driving from Columbus (75 mi west of you) if you could use a ride.

Keeps looking better, Keep us posted!!

OK so the list of possible attendees is as follows:
sw2geeks
bulldogbacchus
David Broadwell
John Loftis
Heath Besch
mhenry
Steve Goodson
Pabloz
kyle
Miles
Russell Montgomery
Tom Vu(Rockbox)

I also wanted to say we should rename this thing. How about The Third Coast Gathering? :lol2:

Not yet, but Karring said he might(*MIGHT*) be in the area in late June, so maybe then? :dontknow:

I am thinking it needs to be on a Sunday, that seems to be the day that works best for everyone. Maybe the 24th?

BTW it's funny that Blade is such a major game-changing event in the knife world. It's the Secular Christmas of the knife industry.

I could make it if it happend to be on a Saturday. I love making kitchen knives and would love to see how others do it.

Jason Wilder
Gorman, TX

I could make it if it happend to be on a Saturday. I love making kitchen knives and would love to see how others do it.

Jason Wilder
Gorman, TX

Welcome, Jason!

How about Sundays? Are Saturdays the only days that work for you at all?

Welcome, Jason!

How about Sundays? Are Saturdays the only days that work for you at all?

Thanks for the welcome.

I preach on Sundays, so they are certainly out for me, but I wouldn't want to hold everything up for those who can only come on Sunday.

OK this is going to be on either the 7th or the 14th of July, Which are both Saturdays. So let's vote. I'll message everyone too.

My vote is for the 14th, because my wife's birthday is the 6th, and my oldest daughter's is the 8th. Not vetoing it, just my vote is for the 14th.

I would vote for the 7th but can swing the 14th if it's best for everyone else.
Jason

Back