Road trip snacks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am going on a road trip to the tail of the dragon, Robinsville NC, with a friend that is a car enthusiast. He is a VW kind of guy so he has a R32. I was wondering what you guys would take on a road trip to snack on. I usually grab some fruit, cheese nips, or some kind of chip, chocolate chip cookies, granola, and the lance crackers. Just looking for suggestions of new stuff that travels well.

Thanks
Jared

For anything longer than 8 hours I have to have a 5 pound bag of black forest gummy worms and Twizzlers chocolate licorice.

About 30 miles out of town there's a small run-down shack which sells all sorts of homemade jerky, every variety from every type of critter local to the area. No matter how often we travel, it's the first stop we make.

Bugles chips, nutter butters, red vines. I don't go anywhere without coffee.

Coffee, sours, bugles, licorice, fresh fruit (for when I'm feeling unhealthy) and my plan to hit local eating joints along the way.

The dragon isnt too far from anything honestly. you have robinsville, fontana village, and all of that around so just take what you want. but if you arent driving dont eat too much because over 1000' of elevation change and over 310 turns in 11 miles on a road with no guard rail will make your stomach turn. i have gone many times with the subaru guys (since i own one) and it is fun. also see if you are going to run the charaholla skyway it is beautiful.

Thanks for the info, I'll ask about the charaholla skyway. I am just going to grab some stuff to snack on among the meals and during the drive. I usually eat 6-7 meals a day so I usually need to pack more food than most people.

I wouldn't eat anything that will leave crumbs. R32 is a nice car, (I use to own one), I suggest eating powerbars or cliff bars. Something that is nutritional that won't make a big mess.

Just had a short 4.5 hour road trip this past weekend...jerky, fruit leathers (all natural I found at Costco...pretty dang good) and protein bars were key.

Road food should not be packed ahead of time. It should be bought at nasty convenience stores and trucks stops on the way. A road trip is one of the few times that Bugles are permissible just like boating is one of the few occasions where potato sticks, Vienna sausages and spray cheese are acceptable snacks. :doublethumbsup:

Shoelace licorice and lots of delta blues.

Back