Zensho/Yoshikane SLD Sujihiki 270mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
I got some Yoshikane/Zensho 270mm Suji
For first time they are made of SLD steel without Damaskus, first time i asked Yoshikane to make them, he told me he only make SLD in Damaskus.
But i was able to get only 2 in SLD Kasumi, as mistake :D !!

This Suji has just perfect profile wide at handle and narrow at tip, make it also very good as multipurpose knife. Super thin behind the edge and still very little flex because of super hard SLD steel.
With that knife i can clearly see the different between SKD with 0.95 carbon and SLD with 1.5 carbon.

It have been a while since i made cutting video, but when i got the knife i just wanted to cut something :ninja:

So here you go 270 mm Suji SLD
[video=youtube;ySQp_jGi6BE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQp_jGi6BE&list=UUs-7XfitjOEgbKX0842AtLQ&index=2&feature=plcp[/video]

Made also video for 240 mm Gyuto in SKD, also very thin behind the edge and no flex problem because its wide then Suji :)

[video=youtube;bzskEcx_evU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzskEcx_evU&list=UUs-7XfitjOEgbKX0842AtLQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Edit: Ohh yes and sharpness is out of the box, i did not sharpen them !!! :D

Very cool knives. Out of curiousity, why is the 270 suji so much more expensive than the 240 gyuto?

2 different steels, SKD with 0.95 carbon and SLD with 1.5 carbon.

Yes SLD is D2, and SKD is A2

why is the 270 suji so much more expensive than the 240 gyuto?

2 different steels, SKD with 0.95 carbon and SLD with 1.5 carbon.

Even if they were the same steel, Yoshikane always seems to charge more for their sujis, even for the same lengths...I never understood why.

Regardless, I love that suji.

Yes, actually he takes more for Sujis then Gyutos but not by much.
But that one made from SLD is quite a difference from SKD, i have also Shigefusa Suji and its thicker then Yoshi SLD and have more flex.

Even if they were the same steel, Yoshikane always seems to charge more for their sujis, even for the same lengths...I never understood why.

Regardless, I love that suji.

I just ordered the 240 gyuto in the above video. Can't wait!!!:doublethumbsup:

Thanks you very much !! It is already shipped out !! :biggrin:

Got also Damascus version.
Those is super thin behind the edge, and profile is one of the best for Sujihiki, Yoshikanes special Heat Treatment make them amazingly easy to sharpen.
And edge holds for a VERY long time !
Also from SLD (D2) steel and super hard, flex is very limited !
Damaskus version is bit more thinner and lighter then Kasumi version, and have octagonal handle.
But you can look up the specs. on my website :)

Damaskus

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Zensho-Yoshikane-Damaskus-SLD-Sujihiki-270mm-p/639.htm

IMGP1676.jpg

IMGP1677.jpg

I also got 3 Western Black Damaskus in SLD , 1 of each. I think i will rehandle them with some exotic stabilized wood and mosaic pins.
But you can also do it your self and buy them as they are :)

I will wait to put them on website to i decide what to do with them maybe i even kip one my self :D
Email me if you are interested in one !!

150 mm Petty

IMGP1684.jpg

270mm Suji

IMGP1692.jpg

240 mm Gyuto

IMGP1701.jpg

i love the damascus Suji :D, and those western Yoshikane looks good, can imagine with a custom handle they will rock. :D

No rusty spots , no stain or patina on my 270 SLD.
I dnt see the semi-stainless steel , may be just stainless ?

It is semi stainless, it will not rust but it will develop dark patina on the edge

Hello Maxim,
I am interest in the Western Black Damaskus in SLD 210mm gyuto(the exatcly one you posted,same handle just need the 210mm gyuo),you think I can order one from you?
Sorry if I write you on thread but I don't have enough privilege to send PM.
Where may I contact to you to speak about this?
May I send you an email?
thank you

Hi yes please send me email instead :)

It is semi stainless, it will not rust but it will develop dark patina on the edge

NO RUST AND NOT PATINA

he was in a big mess and the kitchen has never been patina

what am I doing wrong? =)

Back