Any tips for a newb to the kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still-edo

Reaction score
Looks like I'm heading back into the kitchen. Pretty excited this time around as the aunt has expressed that she is looking to open a new location and needs someone to take over managing duties soon. Until then I'll be swinging the knife and trying to keep from burning myself.

I feel I'm heading back older and wiser. I spent some time out of the loop. So I was wondering if you guys had any tips / tricks / suggestions for someone who could be returning to a restaurant job or starting a new job in the restaurant biz.

Only thing I can say is be yourself. I know its really not advice, but it sounds like you have the job locked up. So there is no need to be proving yourself to your aunt, so get along with your new crew and don't be afraid to make the hard decision. People will respect that in the end. Let your crew members you are still a little rusty, but not afraid to work will be the biggest thing.

Make sure the people below you feel important, impress the people beside you, and make the people above you look good.

I appreciate the input guys! I'm really looking forward to being back in the kitchen again. One of my main influences in even entertaining the idea for me to do so is this forum. All this damascus talk has got me back on the wagon so to speak. Hope to make you guys proud!

Back