Quantcast
Top Kitchen Knives
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Kitchen Knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    hmm interesting. not sure if I agree, wonder what the criteria was for their rankings.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Its Asian-style blade is thinner than the traditional ones — less suited for hard veggies like carrots.
    Oh snap. Boys we've been doing it wrong!

Well, at least now we all know that thin knives are bad for cutting carrots. This will surely save us lifetimes of hassle!
    - Erik

Maybe we need to consult the surprising answers to sex questions. I'm sure we are doing that wrong too.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Maybe we need to consult the surprising answers to sex questions. I'm sure we are doing that wrong too.
    Not always bad to be thick with a full tang, nomesayin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    ... wonder what the criteria was for their rankings.
    #1 - Make sure you cater to the big boys(ie the manufacturers).
    #2 - Make sure you don't know jack about knives.
    #3 - Make sure you can get the knife at WS or SLT.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    #1 - Make sure you cater to the big boys(ie the manufacturers).
    #2 - Make sure you don't know jack about knives.
    #3 - Make sure you can get the knife at WS or SLT.
    Aint that the truth

Dang, I thought this was gonna be Jason's top knives, aka - sh!t I wish I owned.

Instead it's an amazon.com commercial cutlery commercial.

Gotta love consumer rating based purely on OOTB sharpness.
    And the idea that the only way to handle carrots is to wedge them until they break apart.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Oh! Henkels and Wusthof Classic! And Chicago Cutlery! Of course!

It's not like those are the EXACT MAKES AND MODELS of knives I hear about daily. I can't think of a single conversation with a home cook that doesn't go like this:
    "Oh you sharpen knives? Does that mean that if I bring you mine you can sharpen them for me?"
    Yep, I certainly can. And I do it all by hand.
    "How much does it cost?"
    I charge by the inch.
    "Oh ok, because we bought a really good set of knives, and spent a lot of money on them. Can't remember what they are called.."
    Henkels? Wusthof? Chicago Cutlery?
    "Yeah, (insert brand here)! They are nice knives, but they are just really dull and won't cut anything. We use the rod they came with, but it doesn't seem to do very much. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing."

Every time! If all these stupid foodie rags and websites and retailers are so damn convinced that Wusthof and Henkels are the greatest knives of all time, then how come everyone I work for has them, believes they are supposed to be good, and never uses them? Because they suck.

My most recent home cook had Wusthof, Pampered Chef, and Hampton Forge. She did all of her cutting with a plastic handled, rust pitted steak knife with a bent blade. "That one cuts really good", she said.

They make crappy knives that are optimized for manufacturing, lock down contracts with cooking classes, television shows, public kitchens and culinary schools, then they distribute mythological information that describe those two knives exactly to a T, and then lo and behold, Wusthof and Henkels are the only companies IN THE WHOLE WORLD making knives with all the qualities of "every good knife".

I'd be happy to see all three of those companies out of business. It's not the product that gets my goat, it's the company.