• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Couple of Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
So, my first ever for sale thread. I stumbled upon a few knives recently which I have no use for really, so I polished and sharpened them up and here they are. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, it's pretty difficult capturing them in the right light as you may know.

First up is a Shun Ken Onion 10" Gyuto VG-10 stainless steel in almost brand new condition. I polished and sharpened it for the first time myself recently and put a real screaming edge on it. There are only a couple of what I call "traveling marks" on the blade and bolster from either being too close to one another in the knife kit or from being placed on a table or something.

IMG_20120418_233221.jpg

Goes for $320 new asking $280

Next we have a Shun Kaji 3 1/2" pairing knife with SG2 powdered metal steel in brand freaking new condition. This was a Williams Sonoma Exclusive I believe. There isn't a single mark on this blade, it really is gorgeous! In fact I'd really like to keep it for myself but I want to use the funds to purchase a deba.

IMG_20120418_232244.jpg

Goes for $180 new asking $150

Now we have a Shun Classic 150mm tomato knife. This one is basically a serrated utility knife with a right handed D shape handle. Great for tomatoes obviously but is also great for cutting up cooked sausages, pepperoni and other hard meats and cheeses.

IMG_20120418_233258.jpg

Goes for $120 asking $100

Finally I have a Wusthof Classic 8" bread knife. There are a pair of cracks, one in each scale near the bolster but is otherwise in fine working order.

View attachment 6249

$90 new but only asking $45

Attachments

• IMG_20120418_233354.jpg
    IMG_20120418_233354.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 72
If I owned that paring knife I'm not sure I would let it go.

First up is a Shun Ken Onion 10" Gyuto VG-10 stainless steel in almost brand new condition. I polished and sharpened it for the first time myself recently and put a real screaming edge on it. There are only a couple of what I call "traveling marks" on the blade and bolster from either being too close to one another in the knife kit or from being placed on a table or something.

View attachment 6230

Hisssss!!! :justkidding:

Those VG-10 blades actually take a pretty nice edge. I had a friend drop off a few from that series for me to sharpen. His wife keeps putting them into the dishwasher, so the blades were all chipped up (no, not because the VG-10 is chippy!!!) and the handles were all cracked. The handles didn't feel good in the hand, bolster was weird, but the blades themselves take a nice edge. Too bad the rest of the knife sucks IMHO!

I have that paring knife. Never had a complaint yet. Great little knife

Hisssss!!! :justkidding:

Yeah yeah. I'm not a Shun supporter myself but I have a new found respect for them at least after sharpening them. I used to hate hate hate sharpening Shun but I don't know something just clicked this time. Or maybe I just sucked at Shuns over 2 years ago. Why pray tell do you hiss in particular?

If I owned that paring knife I'm not sure I would let it go.

Having a hard time with that myself. It really is a special little bugger. But NEED MOAR DEBA!!

Also, I forgot to include shipping in the prices. Sorry about that guys.

Yeah yeah. I'm not a Shun supporter myself but I have a new found respect for them at least after sharpening them. I used to hate hate hate sharpening Shun but I don't know something just clicked this time. Or maybe I just sucked at Shuns over 2 years ago. Why pray tell do you hiss in particular?

I really was just playing, although Ken Onions were our go to make fun of knife for aesthetics for years. I don't hate or like them, just hadn't saw one for awhile and took a jab. Sorry, I don't doubt they cut well!

No harm no foul. I know why I don't care for the blade much,(pinch gripping the bolster instead of the blade) I was just curious about it. I have no affinity to this line, really I just happened upon them by chance and wished to pass them along to someone who may want it.

Everything is still available here.

Ken onion reduced to $260
Utility knife $90
Bread knife $30

Okay, $250 for the Ken Onion
Utility $75
Bread Knife $25

******* Shuns just don't sell round here lol

lol I just might go for the onion in about 2 mo. if its still around.:chin:

At this rate they still will be.... lol

Okay final drop on the Ken Onion $225

Hey I actually got a few hits on ebay for these but I would rather let them go to you guys here at a cheaper price even.

I'll go $215 for the Ken
$120 for the pairer
$70 for the utility

Come on guys I need a new DEBA!!! :D

How did you do?

(Now that it's gone, I don't mind telling you that I find the Ken Onion to be unbelievably ugly!)

I don't mind you telling me that, I don't see the appeal either. Everyone seems to be afraid to speak their mind on these knives for fear of offending me. Let me just say I have no affinity to these whatsoever. They were sold to me as a group purchase from a friend who owns a pawn shop. He just figured ,"Hey I know Rick could do something with them." So I took em. So far I've sold the Ken onion, a wusthoff icon wooden handled santoku, a shun classic honing rod, and a pretty solid 11 pocket knife kit. I know what they are and I know who they are for. I just figured I would give yall first crack at them just in case anyone here did want them.

A few things I did learn here is the true value of a shun amongst us and how to sharpen a shun and not hate myself during the process. That being said the Ken onion went for $235 on eBay so not bad. I still kinda really like the pairing knife though I haven't used it yet. Feels a little handle heavy being a longish western handle on such a small blade at 3.5" With the sg2 steel and shun's "small knife profile" though it could be a real winner. I'll still sell it but if it doesn't go I won't feel "stuck" with it.

How bout $110 for the pairer
$50 for the utility

Believe it or not everything here is sold. Mods please delete.

Back