Asai 240 mm gyuto SG2 in stainless damascus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Pesky passed me this knife to try out and I must say, I am impressed. This knife is pretty much Kochi-thin. There are some flat spots in the edge profile that are slightly clucky. It takes a very nice edge (not quite carbon though) and so far, edge holding is at least adequate with no apparent chipping with light use. The handle is a very nice size - a little on the thicker side. The blade is taller than average and the damascus is heavily etched but don't produce nearly as much drag as I expected. Release is not bad but not awesome either. Very cool knife so far!

Pesky passed me this knife to try out and I must say, I am impressed. This knife is pretty much Kochi-thin.

Tk - do you mean thin behind the edge like the Kochi?

P1070309 (1024x768).jpgP1070308 (1024x768).jpgP1070310 (1024x768).jpgP1070311 (1024x768).jpg

Geez. Give a guy a break. It's been a busy week! :brainfart:

After using it a bit more, I can say it definitely needs some spine and choil rounding. It's nicely finished but pretty sharp and I could feel the corners biting after just a few minutes of work. It is also a bit on the curvaceous side. It essentially has the same edge profile as a TKC (explains why Pesky likes it so much) with a taller, prettier blade and much thinner behind the edge. I'm pretty impressed with how the steel is holding up to striking the board. There are no noticeable deformations so far. The deep etch on the damascus generates some drag but much less than other deepy etched knives I've experienced. I spent some time alternating between it and a Devin gyuto and there is really no contest. I prefer the Devin. The profile and smoothness of the cut feel significantly better to me, not to mention the spine and choil. I wouldn't mind the Devin having a slightly thicker handle though.

I am assuming it is vg10 steel. I am liking what I see and what you have posted. Will have to look this one up when I get to getting a new gyuto.

my bad. I looked up the maker and a similar knife and all they had was vg10. will look up sg2. Still a great looking knife.

wow that is some sweet steel. Now I am extremely jealous.

Sorry for the wrong post I have just started paying attention to steels.

Last edited:
Woahhh, what a great knife. :nunchucks:

I keep this knife pretty high up in my rotation...It is a pleasure to use and haven't rounded the spine or choil (the knife's only faults) out of fear of messing it up. It is just so beautiful!

That looks like David Smith's work out of walnut.

Have you used Shun's SG2? If so how would you say that this compares in terms of edge retention, sharpening, ect...

It might as well be 2 different steels. My mother has a Shun with an SG2 core that is VERY chippy. It feels very "gritty" on the stones. The edge retention is poor because it is so chippy. The Asai is very smooth on the stones but you still can tell that it is Stainless. The edge seems to last for a good while and really hasn't degraded since I got it back from TK59. I looked and there aren't any chips. What a difference a good heat treat can make.

It's a beauty, but the Asai SG-2 suminagashi blade is a little on the thicker side, and I prefer lasers. I must be too used to my exceedingly thin and feather-light Takeda and single-steel unclad blades. I don't accept the thickness as a fact of life for clad or damascus knives. Takamura is able to produce a tough but significantly thinner suminagashi gyuto with SG-2. Unfortunately, the beautiful suminagashi prevents me from thinning out the blade. It's also hefty for a wa-gyuto with significant foreward balance.

I agree that the handle is on the thicker side -- one problem I'll remedy when I get a Stefan handle for this puppy.

I own a few Shuns (Elite, two Fujis... and NO, I did not pay retail price) and I've not had significant bad chipping issues. I can't say I've done a lot of heavy 'chopping' with the Shuns. They sharpen up about the same. The Asai SG2 nakiri is amazing -- hard, thin, and very well balanced.

It's a beauty, but the Asai SG-2 suminagashi blade is a little on the thicker side...
I'm not arguing that you had a fattie but I do own quite a number of thin knives. This one is exceedingly thin. In fact, I am sure it is thinner in the area near that edge than your typical Takeda.

I'm gonna have to check out other specimens. Mine is truly a fattie. I'll post pictures later.

knives.jpg

From left to right

1) Takeda 240 Gyuto
2) Yoshikane 240 Gyuto SKD11
3) Carbonext 240 Gyuto
4) Asai 240 Gyuto SG2 Suminagashi
4) Asai 170 Nakiri SG2 Suminagashi

The edge is okay, but this is definitely not a knife for fast-chopping veggies.

Maybe El Pescador or tk59 can tell me if the grind on Pesky's knife is similar to the fat blade on mine. This thing is FAT. You can see why I love chopping with my Takeda. It behaves almost like a chukabocho because it is thin all the way down the blade. The geometry on the nakiri is wonderful, and chopping veggies is a joy. Of course, it's only 170mm and I expect it to be thin at the chin as compared to a longer knife.

wow, it almost looks like a western deba or lobster splitter compared to those others.

This knife is no longer in my possession but I can assure you that the one I handled was a lot more like the nakiri than that beast next to it. :jawdrop:

Seriously. I think it's a hybrid between a deba and a gyuto. It's a gyoba. Well, maybe the retailer who sold it to me will allow an exchange.

Seriously. I think it's a hybrid between a deba and a gyuto. It's a gyoba. Well, maybe the retailer who sold it to me will allow an exchange.
No kidding. That thing needs to go on a serious diet.

Latest posts

Back