Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haven't been sharpening....

haven't been sharpening....

So I'm used to keeping my knives sharp. I'd say @ 90% I would at least perform a touch up. I decided to test how long i could go before actually being forced to sharpen. It's been 2 months and I'm surprised to say my edges are mostly at about 80%. No where near what I'm used to, but still completely useable. I think I will take them a little further still; maybe to the point where I feel I have to saw to pierce skin. So, are are we anal and unreasonably wearing our blades to expect to keep an edge at above 90%?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Heresy, I say!!

Yeah, probably...

Ive found the same thing in my trials, but i also rotate my knives a lot. One impressive feat of edge retention was how my fathera IT sab could still slice paper after a year without sharpening, just steeling. It wasnt fresh of the stones, but still usable.

I would venture to say that it's your technique that is making them work, not the edge.

I don't think it's wearing mine down too fast--the one I sharpen the most is my CCK(because the steel is crappy), and it's still got YEARS in it.

But you could totally go a long time without sharpening, it's a preference--I sharpen junkers for a pro kitchen, they'll get a few weeks of happiness out of them, and three times that if they have a good honing rod. I get a day out of a fresh edge on those knives and want to throw them in the garbage.

I had a Honda Accord when I was a broke teenager and didn't do a speck of maintenance for two years on it--just filled it up with gas all the time(even let it run totally out a few times). No spark plugs, no oil, no tire pressure, not even a good detailing. It still got 28 mpg highway and started every morning. Lots of people do that. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I would venture to say that it's your technique that is making them work, not the edge.

I don't think it's wearing mine down too fast--the one I sharpen the most is my CCK(because the steel is crappy), and it's still got YEARS in it.

But you could totally go a long time without sharpening, it's a preference--I sharpen junkers for a pro kitchen, they'll get a few weeks of happiness out of them, and three times that if they have a good honing rod. I get a day out of a fresh edge on those knives and want to throw them in the garbage.

I had a Honda Accord when I was a broke teenager and didn't do a speck of maintenance for two years on it--just filled it up with gas all the time(even let it run totally out a few times). No spark plugs, no oil, no tire pressure, not even a good detailing. It still got 28 mpg highway and started every morning. Lots of people do that. I wouldn't recommend it though.
    I like your car analogy

I'd been sharpening some knives for a guy on a regular basis. Every time I got the knife back, it had chips in it and the tip was broken and I would fix them, thinking he wanted them fixed. After a while, he started mentioning that he thought his knife was shrinking. Now, I don't bother fixing it. I just sharpen. He is much happier, lol.

About the car analogy. That's true but if you're really removing all the fatigued metal, you will kill your knife a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I'd been sharpening some knives for a guy on a regular basis. Every time I got the knife back, it had chips in it and the tip was broken and I would fix them, thinking he wanted them fixed. After a while, he started mentioning that he thought his knife was shrinking. Now, I don't bother fixing it. I just sharpen. He is much happier, lol.
    You should return the knife, freshly sharpened, with a free one of these.

About the car analogy. That's true but if you're really removing all the fatigued metal, you will kill your knife a lot faster.
    There the similarity stops. Hey, it was an analogy, not a parable!

Boy can I relate to that.

FWIW, it can help to mention that you didn't remove the steel - he did - you just finished the job.