Quantcast
Need help with recipes - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need help with recipes

I usually eeat quick cooking rolled oats, mainly to save time but the steel cut oats taste better. Banana cinnamon and splenda pre workout or breakfast. A lot of good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    I usually eeat quick cooking rolled oats, mainly to save time but the steel cut oats taste better. Banana cinnamon and splenda pre workout or breakfast. A lot of good info here.
    To save time, I made a big batch of steel cut oatmeal sweetened with a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup and a pinch of salt (but no milk), cool it down, store it in the fridge and microwave a bowl as needed adding some milk then. It will easily last 2 weeks in the fridge.

much more awesomer
    I buy President's Choice steel-cut oats, for about half the price per weight compared to McCann's. I think they are about the same price as Bob's Red Mill -- in the States; at Loblaws, Bob's is more expensive.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I use Bob's mill for my quinoa. Seems to taste better. Bob's mill or Alpen for my muesli, but I am sure there are other good muesli brands.

I use the President's Choice Blue Menu steel cut oatmeal too, a real bargain at $2.99 a tin!

much more awesomer
    Yup. One of my favo(u)rite PC items, the others being the imported Italian pastas (dried as well as filled).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    @Shinob1: have a look at other fishes, too. Most decent supermarkets have a better selection of healthy fish than you'd expect, and some of it isn't even very expensive. My local supermarket's fish counter guy is very experienced, having spent years at one of the city's better fishmongers. While he doesn't have carte-blanche to order anything he wants, he can usually source pretty good items and knows enough to recommend certain buys while dissuading others.

Tasty fishy-fishes we've had recently include black cod and fresh halibut, along with steak fishes like salmon, swordfish and shark. Less-fishy-tasting fishes we've tried include tilapia, haddock, arctic char and the ultra-cheap pangasius (basa, aka Mekong Delta catfish). Many of these are very versatile, too.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I found my last batch of museli and steel cut oats at Big Lots 1/3 to half off. Bob's Mill and McCanns.

And remember, Bob's Red Mill oats won the Golden Spurtle !
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

much more awesomer
    LOL My sister gave me a spurtle for Xmas a few years ago and i honestly couldn't think why I'd need one instead of just using a wooden spoon. It's somewhere in a box in the basement.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

+ Reply to Thread