Quantcast
Need help with recipes
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with recipes

Need help with recipes

The past 2 or so months I have been dieting and Iíve lost 30 pounds! However Iím really starting to get tired of the meals Iím cooking. I know there has to be some ways to spice things up, so Iím hoping you guys can give me some suggestions. How I cook my meals is I bake fish and sautť veggies, or Iíll sear/pan fry meat, take it off the heat and then cook the veggies. Iíll put the meat back in the pan to heat up and incorporate some flavors before I serve it. Also when I make my meals, it is for two servers, dinner and lunch for the next day.

My only restriction is that it needs to be low carb. So I cannot do pasta, rice, bread etc. Any veggies & meat are fine and so is fruit. As far as things I like, almost anything. I like spicy food and am not afraid of trying something new.

Here are the things that I make on a regular basis Ė if you have any suggestions or new things to try please let me know. Also keep in mind I am a beginner, so it can't be too complicated.

Sausage & Peppers
    1 package Kelbasa
    1 green bell pepper
    1 onion

Chicken & Peppers
    1 package of boneless, skinless chicken tenders
    1 green bell pepper
    1 onion

Lean beef & Peppers
    1 package of extra lean hamburger
    1 green bell pepper
    1 onion

Fish & Veggies
    2 frozen fillets of Salmon or Tilapia
    1 yellow squash
    1 zucchini

Here is my pantry of ingredients that I normally have, for the recipies above Iíll sub in different veggies, but I usually eat onions & bell peppers with everything except fish.

Protein:
    Frozen Salmon
    Frozen Tilapia
    Kelbasa Sausage
    Chicken Tenders or Breasts
    Ground Beef
    Turkey Bacon
    Cholesterol free eggs / Egg Beaters

Veggies:
    Asparagus
    Yellow squash
    Zucchini
    Onion
    Bell Peppers

Any grains, pulses, beans, etc that you normally have in the pantry?

EDIT: Woops, just saw the low/no carb.... Still, though, you might want to make an exception for stuff like Lentils...

Congrats on losing the weight 30 lbs in two months is quick. I eat very healthy usually and only have rewards on the weekend normally. For cutting weight you can still eat carbs, but if your current diet is working for you I wouldn't adjust it. You can add some NY strip or filet mignon for a nice lean protein, you may want to ad some green vegetables such as: broccoli, green beans, spinach, collards, or kale. Wilted in a pan with EVOO garlic S&P is great for spinach. If you wanted to add any carbs at some point beans as mentioned above, sweet potatoes, and quinoa are a great way to keep the protein and fiber high and glycemic index low.

I'd also add some salads for more variety, but that is up to you. Cobb salad is great in small amounts.

Good luck.

I have been thinking about adding in salads to the rotation. I was going to do spinach, carrot, celerey, radish and maybe some cut up chicken breast.

I'd really like to add some heat to the things I eat. Should I just dice up some jalapeno peppers and throw them in then I am sauteing the veggies?

I will also do green beans, but they are from a can. Can I take fresh green beans and saute them?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    If you are having hunger issues I would look at lettuce too. Very filling and low cal.. I would also recommend oil and vin. for a salad dressing. Ya you "lose your man card," for it but it helps a ton too. As for green beans you can but make sure you cut the stems off and the tiny string they have running down the side. As far as spices it is up to your palate. Throwing in ***'s when you are sauteing can be good, just watch out for the fumes you can get off of them. Not dangerous but can be nauseous. Gl on your endeavor and gratz on losing that much so soon.

Try searching for ketogenic recipes on google. I'm sure there is a tone of recipes

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll google ketogenic. What about sauces? What can I whip together that would be healthy and tasty?

Invest in some good cookbooks. They'll teach you HOW to cook, not just replicate recipes.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Try shirataki noodles as a substitute for pasta. Very low carb, like < 3g per serving.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pro...takinoodle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Try shirataki noodles as a substitute for pasta. Very low carb, like < 3g per serving.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pro...takinoodle.htm
    Thank you for this I will be going to grab some of the next week. I am sure they will be great with some beef or chicken.