Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mamma mia!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    What happened to that Kato?!
    +1

Could it mean ... the magnificent Kato has finally revealed a flaw?

Never seen and not expect to see a japanese knife hardened to steels limits and withstanding bone cutting activities.

As usual, amateur [no beefing, just a fact to note] usage plus knife for advanced users = disaster.

As I said in review, at the end of the day its just a knife, made of tough steel. Luckily cladded.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Never seen and not expect to see a japanese knife hardened to steels limits and withstanding bone cutting activities.

As usual, amateur [no beefing, just a fact to note] usage plus knife for advanced users = disaster.

As I said in review, at the end of the day its just a knife, made of tough steel. Luckily cladded.
    Had the Kato not been sharpened? When I first got mine I cut through a few whole roasted chickens while making staff meal. Needless to say after going through the small rib bones and the joints of the legs, the edge looks similar to that (not quite as bad.) I then sharpened it and tried it again the next day and had zero chipping. So, I will say it might just be the initial edge is pretty week.

The experience made me feel like I would not recommend the knife to anyone who isn't comfortable with sharpening because I was initially very disappointed that the edge being so fragile.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    Had the Kato not been sharpened? When I first got mine I cut through a few whole roasted chickens while making staff meal. Needless to say after going through the small rib bones and the joints of the legs, the edge looks similar to that (not quite as bad.) I then sharpened it and tried it again the next day and had zero chipping. So, I will say it might just be the initial edge is pretty week.

The experience made me feel like I would not recommend the knife to anyone who isn't comfortable with sharpening because I was initially very disappointed that the edge being so fragile.

-Chuck
    I had the exact same thing happen with my 270 kato gyuto! So when I got my kato suji first thing I did was take it to the stones, I've had no issues with either since.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Wow, these knives are sounding more and more like Heijis. From the description of cutting (as compared to Shig, for example), to being fat but thin behind the edge, to being very fragile OOTB.

Thanks for feedback guys !! I will look in to it when I get home and try to ship Katos only fully sharpend by me
    As I sell those knives I thought it went only for pro ussers with bunch of stones and experience in Japanese knives but it seems like they get really popular for regular home chefs too

My mistake and I will take care of it

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Thanks for feedback guys !! I will look in to it when I get home and try to ship Katos only fully sharpend by me
    As I sell those knives I thought it went only for pro ussers with bunch of stones and experience in Japanese knives but it seems like they get really popular for regular home chefs too

My mistake and I will take care of it
    Maxim,

I am a pro but when I first got it it felt sharp and I had it shipped to work so I just started using it. It wasn't an issue for me to fix. I am just saying if someone wasn't confident sharpening a knife I wouldn't suggest buyin this knife unless paying for it to be sharpened. I think sharpening them would be a great idea to hopefully solve that little issue.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Could it mean ... the magnificent Kato has finally revealed a flaw?
    are you serious? The knife is unbreakable until someone decided to hack wood with it ..

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Wow, these knives are sounding more and more like Heijis. From the description of cutting (as compared to Shig, for example), to being fat but thin behind the edge, to being very fragile OOTB.
    the geometry is very different, then do not have flats on the blade surface.