Quantcast
Mamma mia! - Page 15
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 154

Thread: Mamma mia!

  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    Maxim,

    I am a pro but when I first got it it felt sharp and I had it shipped to work so I just started using it. It wasn't an issue for me to fix. I am just saying if someone wasn't confident sharpening a knife I wouldn't suggest buyin this knife unless paying for it to be sharpened. I think sharpening them would be a great idea to hopefully solve that little issue.

    -Chuck
    Have you tried other guytos on chickens the same way? How did they fare?

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Have you tried other guytos on chickens the same way? How did they fare?
    Yes, I have used just about every other knife I own to do this task. It is a very common thing for me at work. This was the worst I have ever seen a knife handle the task. It was with the edge that came on he knife. That night I sharpened it to fix all of the large chips and I have had not had any chipping since. I own about 35 other gyutos as a reference.

    -Chuck

  3. #143
    How many of these are honyakis?

    One thing is for sure, it is able to get wild sharp and hold it very long while. Its quite clear how japanese maker attains that. When I got Shigefusa I stayed far away from bones yet I chipped it.

  4. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    495
    2 of the knives are true honyaki. But, the Kato is not. It does get very sharp and seems to hold an edge well. I have not been using mine a ton because there is another issue I need to get resolved (not serious)

    -Chuck

  5. #145
    So youve been bashing chicken bones with them, and there was no squeaking?

    My mate broke off a heel on mine today.

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    So youve been bashing chicken bones with them, and there was no squeaking?

    My mate broke off a heel on mine today.
    I am sorry that you don't like someone said something not perfect about a knife sold by your friend. I do like the knife minus a few things. All I am saying is the initial OUT OF THE BOX edge was fragile and chipped very easily.

    I never said I was "bashing chicken bones", so please don't pass judgement (I have not made comments on some of your posts). If a gyuto can not cut through rib bones on a 3-3.5# chicken without chipping severely, there is probably an issue with the edge. Yes, I have cut through the rib cages of chickens with almost every knife I own. I have resharpened the knife and did not have issues with chipping the next 2 days I used it at work. Since then I have had to stop using it because it came with a loose handle and I do not feel comfortable using it until I have a chance to fix that.

    -Chuck

  7. #147
    wow guys chill hehe

    It is a Knife Not a knife to cut true bones, when i brake down the chicken i do not cut true any bone, for bones i have special knives, so thats why i assumed all that brake down the chickens dont do that and i was wrong sorry for that and i will change that in the description.
    But i believe that all have to change they edge to they preference when they get so expensive knives anyway, if you use it for hard or delicate cuts etc.

    Chuck: I am sorry for loos handle but i check all knives before they go out and maybe with climate change or postage something got wrong. But it is easy fix, just tap your handle on the cutting bord while holding on handle and that should be fixed

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    495
    Hey Maxim,

    I tried that with the handle the first day when I noticed but it came loose again. I am just going to take it to Jon's when he gets back and have him rehandle it (if he will). The knife has no problems cutting through small rib bones on a chicken (after sharpening), I have not had a knife that can not complete this task. All I am trying to say was that the initial OOTB edge is fragile. The knife is a good performer and I plan on doing some comparisons with it. I know some people are scared to use a knife to cut through things but these bones are about as tough as cutting through a salmon, plus the chickens are already roasted so the bones are even more delicate. I am not smashing through leg bones or something.

    Sorry if anyone is upset that I am using the knife for basic tasks at work for me. I will say just as a reference: Martell, Ealy, Harner, Burke, Rader, Kramer, Devin, Tillman, Mario, Pierre, ginga honyaki, hide honyaki, hide, heiji, kochi, zakuri, gengetsu, zdp189, blazen, nenox, suisen, mizuno, shigefusa, ect have all done this as well (and will continue to do it)....

    -Chuck

  9. #149
    Just tap bit harder it will be fine As long you only hold it on handle
    But i am sure Jon can fix it, if he dont have time you are always welcome to send it back and i fix it for you

    I understand what you saying but i think some people will misunderstand and think they can cut true all thick bones.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    Hey Maxim,

    I tried that with the handle the first day when I noticed but it came loose again. I am just going to take it to Jon's when he gets back and have him rehandle it (if he will). The knife has no problems cutting through small rib bones on a chicken (after sharpening), I have not had a knife that can not complete this task. All I am trying to say was that the initial OOTB edge is fragile. The knife is a good performer and I plan on doing some comparisons with it. I know some people are scared to use a knife to cut through things but these bones are about as tough as cutting through a salmon, plus the chickens are already roasted so the bones are even more delicate. I am not smashing through leg bones or something.

    Sorry if anyone is upset that I am using the knife for basic tasks at work for me. I will say just as a reference: Martell, Ealy, Harner, Burke, Rader, Kramer, Devin, Tillman, Mario, Pierre, ginga honyaki, hide honyaki, hide, heiji, kochi, zakuri, gengetsu, zdp189, blazen, nenox, suisen, mizuno, shigefusa, ect have all done this as well (and will continue to do it)....

    -Chuck
    have you tried to epoxy the handle? As for the shipping after you redid the edge did you try it on chickens again?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •