Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mamma mia!

What's the second link Mike? I think it is broken. The first video is loooong . fetching for watch later now :-)

wrt to the picture, how many passes on dmt was it? If it was only a few passes I don't feel (just me) that those low spots and over grind on and edge is any serious issue. Although Jon said that these hide knives usually come with a solid edge, but it is also quite traditional for users to do honhatsuke themselves first.

here is my take on this very intriguing thread.

knives are knives and they do not need to be judged in the typical way. some knife makers are better than others and because of that, some knives cost more due to supply and demand, materials, maker quality etc, but that is not what we are talking about here. a knife will never chip like that if it wasn't used. let a knife sit in the box and it will look great as long as you have it, but that is not what the knife wants to do. we all enjoy our knives here because we have an intent on using them (a few drawer queens aside) and when we do, we learn about them in an intimate way that we can only describe using words. this does not do justice to the actions we are doing.

the point im trying to make is there is a wealth of knowledge here that should be taken very seriously as all of us have different experience levels with professional kitchens, knife making, and knife sharpening which all together make up our passion here. i would make the suggestion that you learn by doing and the knife is along for the ride. there are a lot of things you could try but i think using your head and getting the most out of all your experience is the only way to judge your progression at any of these skills.

there isn't anyone on this forum that knows everything and cannot learn from the other members here. we all know this and strive to add threads about experiences here and thats all i believe has happened in this thread. looking down on others is not what we do here and i am so glad it hasn't come to that.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

TK I didnt measure. There wouldnt be much of a difference, but it was there.

Photo was taken after up to 200 strokes. Blue diamond. I just go by the feel and looks of it. Dont count strokes.

The first video is long, but in the first half you can see things there...

The other one were itasan18s knives in his video on sharpening... Did you see that "deba"? It looks like a MAC knife with that funny rounded tip.

As I said, my boss dont hae a clue about sharpening, and that is the issue here.

You can see on the photos : good blade+poor skill=disaster

Photos to come, I just have the polishing job to be done now.

What can I say about the repairing so far, this is the nicest steel I have worked with. It was just such an easy fix, I have problems believing it. And it was a damage.

Thank bieniek. I've seen itasan's video before, just the link that you put in that was broken

Agreed that the steel in hide knives is not difficult to sharpen but can't comment yet on fixing chip (haven't chipped mine yet).

I don't know if people are going to like this but o well, most knives (even Doi's and whatnot) that I have owned ALL come with some sort of imperfection. Damn even DT midtechs had some overgrinds here and there. The point is, unless your dropping a wad of cash for a full custom most likely the knife WILL have a problem here and there. Just live with it, fix it, use it, have a great time with it, its a knife not a foken Van Gogh to look at.

You want mamma mia? I'll give ya mamma mia!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010043.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	6381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010047.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	6380  

Looks like a nice toothy edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

much more awesomer
    That is a sad Tsukiji. Sad.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I'm am very glad I am not fixing that one. (not like I could)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

HAVE FUN!