Quantcast
Handle repair/glue question?

Thread: Handle repair/glue question?

Handle repair/glue question?

I had the end piece on one of my handles come off. It was from a Fish handle and it was metal glued to wood.
    I was wondering what glue would be best to put it back on with?

Here is a pic of the knife from Dave's Fish Gallery.

Thanks,
    Steve

Try a good epoxy, remove all old glue and clean both surfaces with acetone before glueing. Maybe drill a few small cavities into the wood end to increase the surface. Epoxy usually doesn't like to be pressed to 0 thickness.

If it was me I would solder a pin onto the end piece and drill a hole into the handle, then epoxy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like gflex 2 part marine epoxy from west systems, but I think spikes suggestion seems the most sound and bump proof. Shoot me a pm if you want some gflex and I can put a few syringes full in the mail.

What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.
    Metal caps can be a pain, sticking a mosaic pin through it and then epoxy it on would be one option - or a hidden pin like Spike suggests. Without a pin, I am with the other guys - a decent epoxy and good preparation of the glue surface. I usually drill very small dimples into both pieces or at least scratch them up well so that there is more surface for the glue.

Stefan

I had the same experience with a Fish aluminum endcap. Epoxyed it back on and hasn't given me any problems since.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I had the same experience with a Fish aluminum endcap. Epoxyed it back on and hasn't given me any problems since.

Same thing here too.

Will pick up some epoxy and give it a try, thanks!

I use the pin thru method and it seemed to work for metal butt caps. I use a mosaic pin to spice it up a little.