Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my 1st WIP

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

Help me with my 1st WIP

My boss wants me to refurb this Henckel slicer. It's old, I don't know how old. I want to keep it as original as possible. I have never seen a knife with the handle "tacked" on like this. The bolster is two seperate pieces of metal too. I need as much help as possible. If this is out of my capabilities, somebody PM me with a quote for some work.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I need to clean the blade up too, as there is some rust. I don't want to lose too much patina though, is this possible?

If there's rust on the blade there's a good chance that the tang is pretty rusty too given the gaps in the handle =/

You wanna replace the handle scales? For something not so warped?

That is a pretty cool looking knife. I have never seen a Zwiling with a handle like that. Could be a fun project, all you would really need would be some 3/16 pins from a handle supply place like Jantz, some black scales, which you can get from Burl Source, epoxy and some sandpaper.

That plus some elbow grease and you can get some brownie points from your boss.

If you absolutely do not want to do it yourself:

Taz575, a hobbyist vendor here has been doing some western re-handles as does Dave (we all know what Dave's refurbs look like).

Have fun!

What tools and experience do you have? I'd scotchbrite the blade and given the gaps around the scales I'd carefully remove them and replace them with something nice from Mark. Using liners may help give a neater fit to the tang. Nickel silver pins in the same layout would look good.
    Good luck with it

I think you should first ask yourself what you are prepared to change and what should remain. From what I've seen I cannot say whether you should change the handle. Would you notice some play obviously you should, otherwise not. First go for performance, aesthetics may follow. I would like to see a well polished edge together with the original handle, though.

get some cork and emery and get the rust off the blade, you may have some pitting, use a progression of different grits and maybe some dish washing soap. lightly sand the handle and remove any grime and crap, sand the sides of the knife were the tang is visible, keep sanding until you get a nice uniform shiny tang and it is smooth and even with the wood on the handle. soak the handle with some mineral oil, for a couple of days. The wood should swell, wipe the excess off, you should wipe it off every day for a couple of days until it doesn't sweat anymore oil. Put an edge on it and give it to him. This knife was made around the turn of the century and you are not going to find better quality ebony today without paying and arm and a leg. it will take a hair popping edge.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

just do it the way I say and he will be happy, trust me.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    just do it the way I say and he will be happy, trust me.
    Cool, thanks Son. I'll definitely try your method first. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it goes.

so, what you want to do is roll the emery around the cork and use straight dishwashing liquid as a lubricant.Not too much. Sand the length of the blade until you get a nice uniform look, than switch to the next higher grit and repeat, keep doing this until you get the desired finish. If you want you can get some fingerstones and put a final polish on it. Depends on how much you like your boss. That ebony will polish up like glass, you can essentially do the same progression of emery on the wood without the soap. or put it on a buffing wheel if you like. I myself like a hand rubbed satin finish.