Quantcast
Boring - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boring

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Mine was almost in the insane range. the tantrum that I threw when I dropped it and broke it was insane though.

Ouch, I would have gone pretty insane too.

Bill: How come you post so few pics, when you once wrote a book on the topic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-Want-Take...4#ht_500wt_922

Sponsors

Sorry Oivind that is not me. nether am I the Motor cross racer or the 4x4 enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    Mine was almost in the insane range. the tantrum that I threw when I dropped it and broke it was insane though.
    Are you kidding? Is it still usable? A few things I have learned about taking care of J-nats
    1) obviously keep them in a safe place
    2) brush the outside parts (except the top) with lacquer and then a piece of tissue paper, Japanese washi paper would be the most authentic and the fibers stronger. When the thin paper is applied it is so transparent that you can not notice it but the added strength of the paper lacquer is amazing
    3) glue it down. I glue them to stone/ granite but wood is also common. I got the idea from the yellow Belgium nat stones. They come thin so they are glued to slate.

There is a good chance that your stone can be salvaged in some way so I hope you did not throw it out. Even if just for finger slips to polish blades. Expensive stones like yours are used by sword polishers and the finishing touches are done with thin slivers of stone.

Sponsors

It was glued ti a wooden block but it popped loose when it hit the floor. the whay that it landed on the wood seemed to give it a good spring back into the airand when it hit from the bounce the stone broke. I do still have the pieces and have looked to see it there is some way to put it back together bot the crack is too big. This was from my sword polishing stones the larger piece is still barely usable for polish and the small piece for finger stones or tojiri production.

Bill,
    a broken stone can be glued together, even if a crack is wide. Here is a post on a subject.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...4-Stone-repair

I use bases for my stones, but I prefer friction fitting rather than gluing them to the bases. It's easier to maintain a stone (flatten, clean, dry, soak, etc) this way.

These are prototype cedar bases I made.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com