World's Best Burl.......maybe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
It might be a bit of a stretch to call this the best burl in the whole world. But it sure is nice.
This is an old slab that had changed hands 3 times over about 50 years.
It had a dark dusty patina that made it hard to see what the wood was going to be like.
I knew it would be good. But I had no idea it was going to be this good.
This is when I started cutting it up.
d.jpg

Next I took one of the strips and sanded it to 120 grit and sprayed it with a light coat of lacquer.
a-1.jpg

Turned at an angle and the look changes.
c.jpg

Then at 180 degrees it is different again.
b-1.jpg

This has to be my favorite of any Redwood Burl that I have ever seen. No bark pockets, no checks, no voids and really unusual figure. Good coloring too.
There is some at K&G getting stabilized right now. Once I finish cutting up these pieces I will be sending in them as well.

I'll take the bottom one if or when it's available:biggrin:
Hey,it's worth a try.

From the lack of comments I am guessing that you guys don't think this is anything special.

Well......it is.
:shocked3:
Just you wait until it comes back from getting stabilized.
Then I'll show you. BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA

The stabilizing will cause the figure to show a strong metallic flash and the figure will have a holographic effect changing shape and from light to dark as it is moved around.
............I think.

FYI the hey it wa worth a try was in regards to getting a piece, not in regards to quality. It looks great!

Hey, I just got back from watching my wife spend my paycheck, and I've been drooling over the pics since I logged in.
How long before they're ready?

I am not positive but I have some stuff coming from K&G next week and I think some of this was in that batch.

FYI the hey it wa worth a try was in regards to getting a piece, not in regards to quality. It looks great!

I know. I was just teasing you guys.
It is hard to visualize what this will look like after stabilizing. But this type of figure increases in intensity quite a bit.

I wants some!! Will you posting on here first or will you do the email thing.

I can't wait:popcorn:

I think this will be another sight to see again. But you do seem to have a very good eye for this stuff.

I wants some!! Will you posting on here first or will you do the email thing.
I will post here first. You guys have been real good to me since I have been here.
I get to see lots of great photos of the handles you make, I have learned a lot, and I now have the best kitchen knives I have ever had.

I'll take three.... Looking for some great redwood this looks like it would love to have enough for matching handles on all my shiges!

I will post here first. You guys have been real good to me since I have been here.
I get to see lots of great photos of the handles you make, I have learned a lot, and I now have the best kitchen knives I have ever had.

I'm sure I speak for many people here - the pleasure has been ours. You've shown us a wide variety of beautiful woods that we've never seen before and given us the opportunity to improve the knives we have.

Thanks again, Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing these blocks come back from stabilizing.

About how many handle-sized blocks can you eek out of a slab like that? It is beautiful.

That looks fantastic. I love redwood and that is amazing. I am definitely in line for some!

Mark, you know i have a crazy thing for redwood and this stuff looks fantastic :) Just toss a few choice ones aside and send me a bill lol.

About how many handle-sized blocks can you eek out of a slab like that? It is beautiful.
What I have shown in the photo is about 1/3 of the slab.
These are the blocks I cut. Almost all will yield 2 wa handles and some ferrule material. I am always afraid I am going to cut the blocks too small so I end up with a bunch of big ones.
rw001-1.jpg

Wow!

Any wa-handle makers who score some blocks, can you post here to let us bid on handles?

I dont even have a thing for red wood, and I Gota have a block or 2 of this stuff! Great score Mark!

Looks great!! Can we do a pre-sale buy:D

I am not organized enough to be able to keep track.
That is why I try to do as much as possible through the web store.
The software automates things so I don't make dumb mistakes.
When I get some of this back from stabilizing I will tell you guys first and give it a day or so before I mention it anywhere else.

K&G is a little slower than normal right now because of the Pre-Blade show rush that happens this time of the year.
They stabilize wood in the order that it is received. I offered to pay more to get bumped to the front of the line but they said that wouldn't be fair.
I still think they are giving me some preferential treatment but just won't say it out loud.
Know what I mean? wink wink, nudge nudge.

I have been looking through my forgotten wood stash and found some today that looks like bugs on fire.
This spring and summer will be some really really good woods.

You guys! Stop commenting! I keep seeing this thread got updated and I get all quick on the draw!
:gunner:
You're freaking me out!

You guys! Stop commenting! I keep seeing this thread got updated and I get all quick on the draw!
You're freaking me out!
Lol I hear you. I keep hitting refresh like its an eBay auction and get nervous if I am away to long.:biggrin:

You're freaking me out!

That's the plan. Lulling you to sleep. Then one day, it'll be the real thing and you'll just think it's another false alarm. muahahahha:spiteful:

lol or every few min, so it will be like crying wolf.

:popcorn:

To make it easy for you guys I will go through this thread and send each of you guys a PM when the first batch comes back from getting stabilized.

There is one batch in the process of being stabilized.
Another box was mailed to K&G the other day.
And another batch that I am just finishing up cutting that I will mail to them by Friday.
rw002.jpg

I will make sure that any of you who want to get some of this will be able to.
I have cut a bunch of different size pieces.
Some wa handle size, some western size, some doubles.

Back