Quantcast
Is anyone familiar with Daniel Koster cutlery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone familiar with Daniel Koster cutlery

Is anyone familiar with Daniel Koster cutlery

I was browsing the for sale threads on Blade Forums and came across someone offering this knife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DANEILKOSTERNatMicartaSantoku.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	6295 Click image for larger version

Name:	GM_DK-Santoku.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	6296

Here's the description that was placed with the knife:

"Brand New Custom Handmade Santoku by Daniel Koster Santoku with matching Custom Handmade leather sheath by Rainwalker (Jeff Law). Steel is S30V. Blade 7 3/8" long, almost 2" wide and 1/8" thick. It is hollow ground on both sides. Daniel Koster has said that it offers tremendous edge holding and that it may take somebody months and months before needing to be resharpened. The thin stock in combination with the large width of the blade and the high hollow ground profile screams that this knife is a cutter and slasher. It will cut like a lazer beam! The overall length of the knife is 12".

The handle is natural canvas Micarta with brass corby bolts. There are black liners under both handle slabs. It will fit in your hand like a glove.

I had sent the knife to Rainwalker asking that he made this beautiful top notch quality leather sheath for this knife. We both worked for its design and it came out just great! This excellent sheath allows this equally excellent knife to be taken to the field or, the campground. At the same time it adds protection to the blade even when the knife is put in a drawer. There is an integral belt loop on the back of the sheath which will accommodate belts up to 2" wide. No corners were cut in its making: even the string used for its stitching was waxed prior to it been used, for longevity."

that'd be a definite pass for me....without a doubt....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    that'd be a definite pass for me....without a doubt....ryan
    +1. I have a buddy that says he doesn't have to resharpen his Wusthof for months either. In all seriousness, that is one thick a$$ knife. I'm sure it will cut anything 1 cm or shorter just fine, though.

Amazing description, anyway.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have been curious if a hollow ground chef knife would cut well,I have never used one.Also 1/8" with no distal taper would be pretty chunky.

They call 1/8" thin stock

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I have been curious if a hollow ground chef knife would cut well,I have never used one.Also 1/8" with no distal taper would be pretty chunky.
    Some do and some don't. Kochis do. Cutcos don't.

With that said, from what I have heard, if you want an basic tough outdoors knife, Kosters are supposed to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Some do and some don't. Kochis do. Cutcos don't.
    Are the Kochis ground similar to a Heiji??

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Are the Kochis ground similar to a Heiji??
    Similar? I would say, "Yes." However, I would also say that you could grind two blades that are ground 98% the same and have one be mediocre and one be awesome. I don't really count Heijis as hollow ground.

+ Reply to Thread