Is anyone familiar with Daniel Koster cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Limited

Founding Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the for sale threads on Blade Forums and came across someone offering this knife.

DANEILKOSTERNatMicartaSantoku.jpg GM_DK-Santoku.jpg

Here's the description that was placed with the knife:

"Brand New Custom Handmade Santoku by Daniel Koster Santoku with matching Custom Handmade leather sheath by Rainwalker (Jeff Law). Steel is S30V. Blade 7 3/8" long, almost 2" wide and 1/8" thick. It is hollow ground on both sides. Daniel Koster has said that it offers tremendous edge holding and that it may take somebody months and months before needing to be resharpened. The thin stock in combination with the large width of the blade and the high hollow ground profile screams that this knife is a cutter and slasher. It will cut like a lazer beam! The overall length of the knife is 12".

The handle is natural canvas Micarta with brass corby bolts. There are black liners under both handle slabs. It will fit in your hand like a glove.

I had sent the knife to Rainwalker asking that he made this beautiful top notch quality leather sheath for this knife. We both worked for its design and it came out just great! This excellent sheath allows this equally excellent knife to be taken to the field or, the campground. At the same time it adds protection to the blade even when the knife is put in a drawer. There is an integral belt loop on the back of the sheath which will accommodate belts up to 2" wide. No corners were cut in its making: even the string used for its stitching was waxed prior to it been used, for longevity."

that'd be a definite pass for me....without a doubt....ryan

that'd be a definite pass for me....without a doubt....ryan
+1. I have a buddy that says he doesn't have to resharpen his Wusthof for months either. :) In all seriousness, that is one thick a$$ knife. I'm sure it will cut anything 1 cm or shorter just fine, though.

I have been curious if a hollow ground chef knife would cut well,I have never used one.Also 1/8" with no distal taper would be pretty chunky.

I have been curious if a hollow ground chef knife would cut well,I have never used one.Also 1/8" with no distal taper would be pretty chunky.
Some do and some don't. Kochis do. Cutcos don't.

With that said, from what I have heard, if you want an basic tough outdoors knife, Kosters are supposed to be good.

Are the Kochis ground similar to a Heiji??
Similar? I would say, "Yes." However, I would also say that you could grind two blades that are ground 98% the same and have one be mediocre and one be awesome. I don't really count Heijis as hollow ground.

Global's come with a hollow grind. But with that said they also are shaped so you can sharpen them with a stone. If the face tapers to the edge you wont have any problems with it. But if they do not put the grind right on the blade it sux, which I would think this one would be.

I have heard that hollow grind edges are being the rage in knife making, which I don't agree with.
http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifeedgetypes.shtml

History of lousy customer service.

Repeated order backlogs, unkept deadlines and promises.

Good Bad & Ugly @ BF is your bellwether here... if you are inclined.

Back