Quantcast
Your favorite cookbook? - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cookbook?

Jarusalem is a great book, I've done a few things for home from it, it's worth it for the pics alone!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    For Chinese food: The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo, oop but well worth looking for. Personally vetted by my very critical Chinese mother, herself an excellent cook
    Wow, good to hear - I've had that for decades...but just to confirm, there's The Key to Chinese Cooking by Kuo, and The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Tropp

I recently picked up The Breath of Wok by Grace Young. Not a bad wok-specific book at all.

interesting lists I have seen and no one mentioned Gordon Ramsay.
    I find his professional aimed type books really inspiring (work in a restaurant kitchen and do a lot at home), well explained.
    have most of his books, not the ones from the series..... so *** chef, desserts, chef secrets, passion for fish, passion for flavor
    another book I would recommend that I saw on other lists , is indeed, RATIO by Ruhlman......been quite an eyeopener, now I look for ratios in other recipes (!!).
    jacques pepin's new techniques (which is two books in one).
    harold mcgee is someone who should be on every bookshelf of anyone who cooks...
    ideas in food by kamozawa/ alexander talbot is a good one that makes you think about cooking too and try out new ways with food.
    for bread, peter reinhart is unbeatable and for sourdough lovers get the books by Daniel Leader!
    last but not least: The escoffier cookbook (big tome on classic cooking to get the basics right!!) auguste escoffier, not seen that mentioned either yet.

Eleven Madison Park
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Any recommendations for a good Italian cookbook? I don't want something as involved as 11 Madison Park, but something I can skim through, get a basic sense, and make it in a few hours after work everyday.

For me, I have a few books that I would browse through time to time to "refresh" myself and get ideas from:

Alinea by Grant Achatz
    Under Pressure by Thomas Keller
    Bentley by Brent Savage
    Eleven Madison Park by Daniel Humm
    Pier by Greg Doyle
    On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. I feel anyone who is interested in cooking, be it professional or home cooks should get this book. Tons of information provided, however, it is a really dry book.
    The Flavor Bible

Am actually considering getting Modernist Cuisine set, pretty pricey but worth the money i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by brianlsx View Post
    For me, I have a few books that I would browse through time to time to "refresh" myself and get ideas from:

Alinea by Grant Achatz
    Bentley by Brent Savage
    Pier by Greg Doyle
    On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. I feel anyone who is interested in cooking, be it professional or home cooks should get this book. Tons of information provided, however, it is a really dry book.
    The Flavor Bible

Am actually considering getting Modernist Cuisine set, pretty pricey but worth the money i guess.
    I believe the price for MC was just dropped.

For an accessible Italian book look for The Essentials of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. My personal favorite, Cooking By Hand by Paul Bertolli is not something you cook dinner out of after work, but will teach you more about food and technique in general than most other books.

Quote Originally Posted by brianlsx View Post

Alinea by Grant Achatz
    Bentley by Brent Savage
    Pier by Greg Doyle
    The Flavor Bible

Nice to see some Aussie books on that list! I love the Pier book, and I worked at Bentley other good Aussie cookbooks Quay, Origin (Attica), Marque
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

+ Reply to Thread