Quantcast
Folksy Chef

Thread: Folksy Chef

Folksy Chef

Here's a new acquisition I thought I'd share. It's new "old stock" that I pickup off the 'bay (stamped columbia corp. NY). It came very dull and with some age spots (it's around 50 yo I reckon), but it was fun to put in a bit of elbow grease and get it in service after so long sitting in some defunct warehouse. Here's how it arrived:

and here it is after....having the spine and choil rounded, new edge put on/tip repaired, patina forced and then used at work for a day+ sanding down the harsh corners on the handle and then adding some boardsmith butter to finish...whew! Impressions.....well,it's a heck of a knife..the carbon steel takes a very fine edge and after using on a polyboard all day at work, it just needed a few light strokes on a hone to bring it back to scary sharp. The size (both length and thickness) are perfect for a "workhorse" application..while the the tip could be a little thinner..the 3-4mm spine is a welcome, comfortable change from some lazers that I've been working with. Overall, a fun project .

now you know why I love these things.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Looks good. It's really nice to "reanimate" a knife. Or maybe resurrect. Still can't help and think how sweet it would look with a new handle....

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    now you know why I love these things.
    Yes, I'm beginning to see the light

Nice. I <3 vintage knives. Is there an awesome re-handle job in the future for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    Nice. I <3 vintage knives. Is there an awesome re-handle job in the future for this one?
    Mmmm, I don't think so. It's actually pretty comfy. I think I'd like to keep it intact for posterity and part of it's allure is it's low cost.