Takohiki thoughts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Anyone out there use a takohiki on a day to day basis? I was considering picking up a short yanagiba for line work but I've been curious about takohikis for a while. I'd appreciate any feedback in regards to options, use, technique, things to be careful of etc.. in regarding said knives. Oh, and I'm more interested in the standard, flat, takohiki, not the sakimaru-tako style and it'll be used for things like salmon, kingfish, scallops, portioning eel.

Cheers,
Josh

I have a takohiki. My understanding about it based on my knife and what I have read is that it has limited functionalities compared to a yanagiba;
Mine is pretty thin and height is also short; In fact, it's thinner and shorter than a fuguhiki. Of course, it is also lighter. Some may like the characteristics, but, in terms of robust cutting power and versatility, nothing beats a yanagi, imho.

FYI, my takohiki's been just sitting in its box for a long time.

Anyone out there use a takohiki on a day to day basis? I was considering picking up a short yanagiba for line work but I've been curious about takohikis for a while. I'd appreciate any feedback in regards to options, use, technique, things to be careful of etc.. in regarding said knives. Oh, and I'm more interested in the standard, flat, takohiki, not the sakimaru-tako style and it'll be used for things like salmon, kingfish, scallops, portioning eel.

Cheers,
Josh

I have to somewhat agree with what orange says.
What size are you lokking at? I have one as well. Have only had it for a couple of months. Thin, very short blade height. It is a great slicer and is nice for large sides of fish. It really surprised me on some swordfish the other day. But if you are looking for an everyday knife, go yanagiba.

I let my Tako go because I just didn't use it enough (and another knife was calling). I used it at work now and again but not being very skilled in it's use I just couldn't justify it on the line. One day I hope to get another because I really liked that knife :)

Cheers for the advice so far everyone. For those how have used both a yanagiba and a takohiki, did you find the technique involved in using said knives to be similar or does the takohiki require different movements?

Cheers,
Josh

That "dead flat" edge on mine was a but less forgiving on a veriety of cuts. The tako from my understanding is really ment for straight, blocky, inline cuts. Yanagi seem to be able to handle more freedom of movement and differnt angles gracefully. Again I didn't use them enough to get profficient though.

Back