Quantcast
Stropping for advise...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stropping for advise...

Stropping for advise...

I know the absolute finest edges are blades are sharpened freehand. I've tried it before and just scratched the S#!+ out of my expensive blades. Plus I don't have the time to invest in freehand-sharpening lifestyle.

So I switched to the Edge Pro system and have about mastered it (all be it 99 stones and do-hickies later) including strops. I'm very happy with the results but I don't want to drag out the kit every time I want to freshen up the blade.

Anyway, Could you give me suggestions (Dave M., Eamon, Jon in particular) on a table strop that I can use (thinking unloaded?) that I can pull out quickly to touch up the blade prior to cutting. This way I can't scratch the blade up too much. I have a HA fine ceramic rod but it takes too much metal off and makes my edges too aggressive. I like then nice gentle finish that stropping leaves. Leather? Balsa? Felt? Cardboard?

Well, Dave sells one, right? I'm sure he wouldn't sell it if he didn't recommend it. It works okay unloaded but you might as well put something on there. IMO, 1 mcn diamond is pretty nice. I have mine in a drawer in the kitchen. It's prettey easy to pull out and use on a moments notice.

TK59, Point taken. I do have some HA 1mcn diamond stray too

I've just added a 3 micron natural diamond strop to the line up before the 1 micron diamond and for my work knives have been going with a two stone, two strop sharpening and still get hair popping edges that still have good "bite" to them. It's also great for touch ups between sharpenings.

I use Dave's professional strop system. It includes deburring block, felt pad, leather pad, spray, and base. If you're just looking for leather, I believe he sells just the pad and base.

I think the base looks great and I leave it out on the counter. Wife hasn't complained yet.

How well does balsa wood work unloaded? Finally found a local store that sells blocks of it..

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    How well does balsa wood work unloaded? Finally found a local store that sells blocks of it..
    Depends on what you mean by "work." It will do a little something that isn't much. Unloaded leather does a little more work and works significantly better for deburring. You might be able to play with the surface of the balsa to get it working better but I haven't tried that.

I don't see any leather strops on his website? Just has felt blocks listed?

What I mean by "work" is, does it do a good job,ok job or not so much as a final strop or quick touch up? I have some of that green crayon stick stuff,so I guess I can try both..

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I don't see any leather strops on his website? Just has felt blocks listed?
    I noticed that too - I'd shoot him a PM.