Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple of Sharpening ?'s

Couple of Sharpening ?'s

I have some questions I'm hoping you all can help me answer.

1. For touch-ups, do you want to create a burr or are you just lightly sharpening the edge to hone and straighten it out, as you would say with a German knife and steel?

2. On my new knife, I am going to take it to the stones today. Is the arrow pointing to the bevel? I am planning on putting the sharpie right below where the arrow is to see where I'm hitting the bevel on the stone. I'm aiming for somewhere near the middle so I can sharpening from the top down to the edge.

Thanks!

1. No burr. You are just straightening and introducing new "teeth" into your edge so just a few light passes on something 1k or over depending on what you are looking for.
    2. Your picture lacks enough resolution to tell for sure but that arrow looks like it is pointing to the cladding line. Your cutting bevels should be right at the edge and be pretty narrow. Maybe 1 mm wide or less. If it's really too small to see well, you might need a loupe or just have to install your own best guess bevels.

Unfortunately all I have is a phone camera and I'm anything but a photographer. Here is another picture. The blue arrow is pointing to the most polished metal right under I believe the Shinogi line. The black arrow is pointing to the edge, which on this knife is like the width of a hair.

If I was to sharpenwhere the blue arrow is, I'm assuming based on your comment that I wouldn't be sharpening the edge, but more so thinning the knife. So I would need a more obtuse angle right? Thanks for the help!

That's right. You'll need to thin eventually but I wouldn't, at this stage.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    Unfortunately all I have is a phone camera and I'm anything but a photographer. Here is another picture. The blue arrow is pointing to the most polished metal right under I believe the Shinogi line. The black arrow is pointing to the edge, which on this knife is like the width of a hair.

If I was to sharpenwhere the blue arrow is, I'm assuming based on your comment that I wouldn't be sharpening the edge, but more so thinning the knife. So I would need a more obtuse angle right? Thanks for the help!
    You're right about everything except the blue arrow is pointing at the lamination line (where the blue #1 core meets the cladding steel), not the shinogi line.

I talked to Jon and he helped me understand what to do a bit better. One thing I hope you all can clarify for me, I can go ahead and sharpen against the entire blade path right? That way I can maintain the geometry of the knife and thin as I sharpen as Dave described in his asymmetry post?

well, you are just touching up, so I wouldn't. Just hit the edge, don't use too coarse a stone(I'd say don't even use more than one stone), and try edge trailing only first. Despite "not raising a burr" you will need to deburr it. It's a fact of life.

Be patient, not too much pressure, and hit that edge.

And don't worry. The worst that can happen is you scratch it. It's really hard to break a knife on a stone.

first from B to C... then from C to edge... then you can blend along C for hamaguri edge. That would be ideal.

(i know we spoke of a slightly different game plan, but i wanted to make this post so others would like what the best way to sharpen would be)

You recommend that people do this even when the primary bevel is that tiny? I think that's asking for trouble unless you're pretty proficient.

Jon is, of course, dead on with his advice. Just that he's telling you how to sharpen it, I should've said that my advice is to not sharpen your knives for a while, but to just touch up the very edge until you get comfortable with the physical motions.

Just hitting the edge and cleaning it up is something that you can only do a few times before it needs to be sharpened fully. Jon's sharpening vids are great for this stuff though!