Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best steel

best steel

hey guys i know theirs a million and one kinds of steel out there I'm looking to see what's the best kind of carbon i know white # 1 and 2 an blue #1 and 2 are up their

please be gentle with explanation because I'm still learning and don't know that much yet

"The best" for what? Rust resistance? Edge retention? Sharpness? All-arounder? Every steel has its own attributes. Every person has their own preferences. I like aogami super because it gets sharp and retains it quite well...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

edge retention and sharpness i work in a catering hall and go thru 10 cases of vegetables on a Tuesday easy so im looking for something that can keep up

52100 can keep up if right HT

A lot will depend on the heat treat, and the only way to really know how the HT came out is to test the knife's performance after it's finished. Aogami super is widely available in Japanese commercial knives as well as some very expensive honyaki pieces or custom orders from specific makers, whereas 52100 you would have to likely order a custom from an American maker. So in some ways it comes down to your budget, and whether you are looking for a Japanese style or western style knife. If you're talking custom US maker, there's also a ton of other potential steel choices like M4, 3V etc

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    For my money, I love the way White #2 sharpens and takes a patina, and the way AS holds an edge. Haven't used 52100 though, which by all accounts is pretty spiffy.

You can get a 52100 from Mark. Ultimatum Carbon Gyuto 245mm is 200 USD. But then again Im not sure about the quality on that knife.
    Marko will make you a 52100 with superior quality for around 500 USD.

Japanese knives often uses blue or white steel, gets insane sharp, but edge retention is not that impressive. Needs babying

The best steel is Interstitial Free. Don't buy a knife made of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    The best steel is Interstitial Free. Don't buy a knife made of anything else.
    What are interstitials?

Hoss