• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shun Pro solid VG10 set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought this set off of Woot maybe a year and a half ago. She gave them to me shortly thereafter and I told her I would either do something with them or try selling them for her. I haven't done anything with them so now they are here. These are faux single bevel. That is the front side looks like a single bevel and the back side in concave but then there is a tiny non-zero bevel on the back side of the edge that makes them highly asymmetric, double-bevel blades. The picture below is one I downloaded from Woot. The actual blades have some very faint brownish patina here and there aside from that, they are newer-looking than any (advertised like new) knife I've seen on this forum (refurb jobs not included). The set includes 210 deba and yanagiba and a 110 deba along with a bamboo box.
images.jpg
If you want them, you can have them for $200. Shipping within CONUS and Paypal fees, included. I will lower the price by $50 each week. If I can't get $50, I will toss them, however much it bothers me to do so.

How much grinding would be required to acheave a true single bevel?

This is like a reverse auction. Who cracks first, before it hits $50?
Kinda nice knives, actually.

Haha. Yeah. You'd have to invent a new cutting technique, Lefty. I used these knives a bit. I don't do much with deba but they work okay just not as sharp as a normal deba. Same thing with the yanagiba although I actually liked using it. I thought about keeping that one, to be honest.

Spike, not much. The bevel on the left side is very small, <1mm in most places. However, I would imagine you would need a pretty robust microbevel. A true single bevel out of VG10 would be prone to chipping.

That lil' deba looks like it would be fun.

Anyone looking to purchase these, just remember they are solid vg10 so have fun sharpening them.

BTW no pun intended, I used to own these knives and although they aren't a knife for purists they are really fun and get a pretty sharp edge it just takes a while, which for me was fun but exhausting.

Yup. Nothing like shunned Shuns.

Eh, if dey evah make it to da trash bin, maybe you needa guy ta fence em fuh you....I'll fence em. You got sumthin you needa get ridda, you let me know, I'll make it happen.

Alright. I'm a day late but the new price is $150 as of now. :)

I'd suggest going down by $2.50 per day, until someone cracks. My guess is $117.50.

I know someone who will want these at work here, they are just a vaca for now.

That's a good guess. I'd pay around there. So it'll be $100 for tk59, and $17.50 to cover shipping and PayPal fees.
Nah, it would be more like $75 for my buddy, $25 for the forum and the rest for shipping, lol. I might take a couple bucks for gas money. :)

Alrighty! The price is officially $100. Bao, pm sent. :)

Payment sent. I guess this will be my fishing set!

I'm surprised that lasted almost 2hrs. Gratz on the snag. If I would have looked on my phone I would have..... well I didn't thank god.

:)

Yep. This was an instantaneous sale. Depending on how you look at it, it might be the fastest sale ever, lol. :)

Yep. This was an instantaneous sale. Depending on how you look at it, it might be the fastest sale ever, lol. :)

You're going to have a hard time convincing some of that fact, but congrats to both parties. :doublethumbsup:

You're going to have a hard time convincing some of that fact, but congrats to both parties. :doublethumbsup:
Your opinions don't invalidate my feelings. Do they? :cry:
BTW, these are sold. They are packed up and ready to go. I'll send you a conf # as soon as it's out.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back