Would there be a good reason to buy a DMT 8C?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Limited

Founding Member
Reaction score
When I was was researching what DMT plate to get for flattening my stones I put an 8XXC, an 8XC and an 8C in my Amazon shopping cart. I ended up buying the 8XXC and moved the others to the Saved Items list. This morning the price of the 8C dropped $20 so I'm wondering if this could be useful. I was thinking for fixing broken knife tips or chipped edges. I've used the Beston 500 for this purpose but it was kind of slow. After I got the 8XXC I used it to regrind a badly chipped knife but it took me awhile on the 500 to smooth out the grind marks left by the XXC.

My current stones are 500, 1.2k, 3k, 6k, 8k and 10k. I also have a pair of 800 and 1500 grit Diaface mini stones.

AFAIK, the quality and usefulness of DMT plates relative to their grit rating is a negative slope.

for me no the finer the grit the easier they wear out.
If you want full versatility use synthetics and even better naturals.

I have one and have always considered it a waste of money. It sticks to most every stone I never used it for sharpening since stones work better in that range.

Back