Quantcast
19c27????
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 19c27????

  1. #1

    RRLOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FIB
    Posts
    1,127

    19c27????

    I re-ground a blade made from this steel and it threw sparks off the belt like I have never seen.So what is in this steel that makes it so "sparky"

  2. #2
    DevinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Panaca, NV.
    Posts
    760
    1% carbon. It also has 13 1/2% chrome.

    Hoss

  3. #3
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,501
    known as Swedish steel. I would say the carbon with the chromium. But I have no idea

    http://zknives.com/knives/steels/19c27.shtml

  4. #4

    RRLOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FIB
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    1% carbon. It also has 13 1/2% chrome.

    Hoss

    The CPM154 I have been using has 1% and 14% chrome and I have not had any sparks follow the belt all the way around and burn my dome like this 19c27.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I have not had any sparks follow the belt all the way around and burn my dome like this 19c27.
    OUCH!!!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Interesting. DT-carbon puts out a load of sparks, too.

  7. #7
    DevinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Panaca, NV.
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    The CPM154 I have been using has 1% and 14% chrome and I have not had any sparks follow the belt all the way around and burn my dome like this 19c27.
    154 also has 4%moly in it so the spark pattern will be duller. It just means that it has a good heat treatment. Trust me on this one. It may not be 19C27 though.

    Hoss

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts