Quantcast
Overgrind Into The Edge
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overgrind Into The Edge

Overgrind Into The Edge

I just stumbled upon an old picture that I shot of a brand new knife that came in for sharpening years ago. I began sharpening the knife but a problem quickly arose that got worse and worse. I think this image clearly shows the irreparable condition of a blade overgrind....

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Nice picture, thanks!

I forgot to mention that this was one of the first knives that I got burnt on trying to fix the overgrind. Yeah there's nothing like buying someone a new knife all because someone else screwed the pooch.

Thanks for the image and explanation. My CCK looks like this in a few spots, it is getting annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Thanks for the image and explanation. My CCK looks like this in a few spots, it is getting annoying.

You might get lucky and see it disappear as you sharpen over time. I say that because CCK's have hammer marks near the edge more so than overgrinds. Still though, an errant hammer blow can show the same irreparable condition too, you never know.

Is there any way to check for this? How much does it affect the performance?

Hey Dave, in order to "fix" this couldn't you just thin the knife a lot? in the case of the knife being a mono steel? That is however totally changing the knife but its the only thing that comes to mind in order to "fix" it.

wqas ging to say i woudl jsut grind it thinner till it was again even

Or shorten the blade, from edge to spine, until you're past the overgrind. In the case of the CCK, the blade height would allow this more readily, of course.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I tried the thinning method here because it looked straight forward but as I approached the edge bevel the hole opened up huge and the edge started to disappear thus I got screwed. On the surface that method seems like the way to go but 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work unless you can figure out a way to keep the belt from touching the overground section while doing the thinning to the rest of the knife. I realize that this is hard to accept but when you see it first hand it can't be denied.

+ Reply to Thread