Quantcast
gyuto or suji? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gyuto or suji?

If you have more gyutos than sujis then suji, if you have more sujis than gyutos, then gyuto. if their number is equal, then I dunno, whatever catches your eye first. That's what I'd do.

Ideally the blade should be longer than what you're slicing, so a 10” brisket will likely need a blade that’s atleast 270mm in length (longer would probably be even better). I’d opt for a suji cause I don’t think I could handle a gyuto that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    When I first started out buying j-knives, I didn't think I needed a sujihiki, so I purchased a 300 Hiromoto AS wa-gyuto thinking that it would work double duty...which it did for most things. However, after deciding to purchase an inexpensive suji in the 270 Fujiwara FKM to try out, I quickly fell in love with the narrow height and profile, and decided to upgrade to a better one just a short period later.

Since then, a suji has been my main knife for everything during the past year, to the point where I only grab a gyuto once in a while. Granted, this is personal preference based on my own experience and not everyone would agree, so maybe start out on the cheaper end of things just to see what works best for you with your style...or go all out and get high-end versions of both (as you probably will down the road anyway)

For home cooks, there really isn't a need for more than one or two knives...it is all about wants and having fun with it.
    So if you're setting out to chop up some carrots, you'd reach for a suji?

Quote Originally Posted by festally View Post
    Ideally the blade should be longer than what you're slicing, so a 10” brisket will likely need a blade that’s atleast 270mm in length (longer would probably be even better). I’d opt for a suji cause I don’t think I could handle a gyuto that long.
    That's the crux of it for me. Suji's give me the length I want for certain tasks, usually proteins, with the weight and profile to make it manageable for me.

Right now, I'm using a yanagiba to cut carrots because I want to get better at using the yanagiba and to learn what it can and cannot do. But, carrots are fun with a yanagiba.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    So if you're setting out to chop up some carrots, you'd reach for a suji?
    Yup, I'll push cut them just the same than I would with a gyuto. I use my sujis in the exact same manner as gyuto, it is not only a dedicated slicer to me.

Less food also sticks to the narrower blade too (my love for them really started when I was cutting potatoes).

I'll also agree with Gator...get whatever you lack/have less of.

Pierre's suji has such an awesome profile!! That really is a steal, someone buy it! If I wasn't waiting for my Kono HD to arrive, I would of jumped on that in a heartbeat.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I'm just a home cook, not a pro or a competition guy, but I think that a gyuto would do for slicing, as long as you didn't have to turn the knife while making the cut. If you did, then the taller profile of the gyuto would work against you.

That said, I'll suggest that you take a look at a Pierre Rodrigue sujihiki up for sale at KF. It's 30cm, and the price is right:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/897977/

It doesn't hurt any that it's a good looking knife:

Sorry fellas...this ones mine!
    Pesky

Nice score Pesky!

Engorged Member
    Thanks...got a Del Ealy western chef I ordered more than a year ago coming soon. Serious knife blue balls here!

Pesky

Pesky,

Glad you grabbed that one!

Please take some better pics and post them in Pierre's subforum. That's the best shot I was able to get from John.

Rick