Quantcast
New (old) cleaver day!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New (old) cleaver day!

New (old) cleaver day!

I'd been thinking for a while of picking up a true meat cleaver (after spending a bit too much time fixing up my Tadatsuna slicing cleaver when I was overenthusiastic on a whole chicken but couldn't figure out what to try... I was visiting my folks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and stopped in to a flea market and found this lovely thing:

...a nice Wm. Beatty & Son "00" cleaver. According to reading I've done online, the eagle signature and singular "& Son" puts it somewhere prior to 1839. The blade is heavily patinated and has a little bit of pitting and some hammer marks on the choil, but the handle is stable and in good shape, and the signature stamps are nice and strong. I intend to spend a bit of time with Barkeepers' Friend and Simichrome to get the shine back into it, and then do a forced patina (either ground beef or mustard, I suppose...)

I'm pretty excited to have an opportunity to use a tool like this that's likely 175+ years old. It's going to be my new barbecue/chicken chopper. Any suggestions on how best to approach cleaning up the blade and bolster without damaging the signature?

Wow! Great score! Chef Niloc loves those!

You east coast guys suck. I've never seen anything remotely close to that at any garage sale, flea market, resale shop, antique store, or otherwise around here.

Nice score looks in really good shape

Engorged Member
    Where's Colin or Ryan when you need them?

Wow that is sweeet! Nice score.

Dave

Those are sweet, I scored one off Fleabay for $20 cuz nobody else bid on it. You should have Dave put an awesome edge on yours, like he did for mine-You won't believe how good it'll perform!

Chickens beware!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Nice score! Here's some Beatty info that (I believe) Colin posted awhile ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That is nice and a early one too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus