New (old) cleaver day!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashae

Reaction score
I'd been thinking for a while of picking up a true meat cleaver (after spending a bit too much time fixing up my Tadatsuna slicing cleaver when I was overenthusiastic on a whole chicken ;) but couldn't figure out what to try... I was visiting my folks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and stopped in to a flea market and found this lovely thing:

7108170759_ebaa991978_b.jpg

7108169885_877c38903e_b.jpg

...a nice Wm. Beatty & Son "00" cleaver. According to reading I've done online, the eagle signature and singular "& Son" puts it somewhere prior to 1839. The blade is heavily patinated and has a little bit of pitting and some hammer marks on the choil, but the handle is stable and in good shape, and the signature stamps are nice and strong. I intend to spend a bit of time with Barkeepers' Friend and Simichrome to get the shine back into it, and then do a forced patina (either ground beef or mustard, I suppose...)

I'm pretty excited to have an opportunity to use a tool like this that's likely 175+ years old. It's going to be my new barbecue/chicken chopper. Any suggestions on how best to approach cleaning up the blade and bolster without damaging the signature?

You east coast guys suck. I've never seen anything remotely close to that at any garage sale, flea market, resale shop, antique store, or otherwise around here.

Those are sweet, I scored one off Fleabay for $20 cuz nobody else bid on it. You should have Dave put an awesome edge on yours, like he did for mine-You won't believe how good it'll perform!

Chickens beware!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Nice score! Here's some Beatty info that (I believe) Colin posted awhile ago...

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%203-9.jpg

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%201-9.jpg

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%203-9_1.jpg

That is nice and a early one too.

EvGsL.jpg
[/IMG]

u0jXY.jpg
[/IMG]

iFTD3.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice job, but I think its a bad idea to scrub off the real patina just to force one. I got an old cleaver on ebay also but having trouble with it. major chips in the edge and no belt sander. tried going at it with stones but its going to be a lot of work.

How much would it cost to get someone to grind an edge back into it and remove chips?

I have another two old knives that need similar work done also.

John Black was the one to buy up the stock from the son's .

1) nice Beatty, don't look like it needs to much cleaning up from what I'm seeing? BKF should be just fine.
2) you kind of need someone good with a belt sander to bring these baby's back to life, they get crazy sharp!
3) best way to get rid of bad rust (red) but keep the good rust (black) is "Electrolytic Rust Removal" aka Magic
http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Push cut

782e14b8.jpg

Pic of edge after wacking on steel bolt

7c801015.jpg

Slowtyper, you're in Ontario, right? Shoot me a PM.

A little bit of progress. Some 600 grit sandpaper, and time with Scotchbrite and some Barkeeper's friend...

6972881308_ddf2c48241_b.jpg

6972882808_1a0c36b04b_b.jpg

7118963305_3b014b7920_b.jpg

6972884776_a53335f0e5_b.jpg

7118965107_de0bb55b3b_b.jpg

That's come up really well. Is that a differential HT line above the edge?

that is all u need....please do not scrub it any more!.....whatever u do do not start grinding on it like fools on ebay with an angle grinder...i think it looks awesome and it is DEFINATELY worth the bucks to send it someone to have it professionally sharpened....they can put a nice big convex bevel on it and then u can take care of it from there easily....to sharpen that on a stone is impossible.....you need someone experienced with a belt grinder.....ryan

that is all u need....please do not scrub it any more!.....whatever u do do not start grinding on it like fools on ebay with an angle grinder...i think it looks awesome and it is DEFINATELY worth the bucks to send it someone to have it professionally sharpened....they can put a nice big convex bevel on it and then u can take care of it from there easily....to sharpen that on a stone is impossible.....you need someone experienced with a belt grinder.....ryan

Yup then you can start lineing them up

a5172abc.png

I think Colin wins .

here you go . the cleaver belt buckle

mG3Ul.jpg
[/IMG]

since I am on the cleaver kick this is one one bad ass t-shirt .

KFfq1.png
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back