Quantcast
Got a Beatty cleaver -- what amount of restoration is acceptable? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Beatty cleaver -- what amount of restoration is acceptable?

It would look pretty sweet wrapped in a damascus cladding from Devin or Del... Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I love the beat up spine! Makes you wonder what put those chips there...maybe a rough storage, but maybe they are from years at work in Chicago, butchering beef. You couldn't fake "dented up with age" that well!

Clean it to make sure it's safe for food, slap a ripping edge on it, and go to town! That John Harris guy looks like an accomplished artist--I'm sure he could do a fine handle for you. Just don't let him fancy it up, it'll look like a prostitute.
    I'm not doing anything weird or exotic, just a simple wood handle. It is a teeny bit wobbly which kinda worries me when swinging a cleaver, otherwise I'd just epoxy the crack.

What method do I use to make sure its safe for food use? Just soap and water or do I need to get a bit more aggressive? I'm totally over destroying it's patina. I pretty much knew I shouldn't have even asked, but part of me really wanted to put my own patina on it. I just want to make sure that this thing is OK to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    That sounds very cool monty....just one question--what kind of freezer do you have that will be able to store an entire cow's worth of meat??
    I live in the country and I'm a competition BBQ cook. Where I come from several chest freezers per household is the norm. I always have at least one hog and half a side of beef in my freezers downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I live in the country and I'm a competition BBQ cook. Where I come from several chest freezers per household is the norm. I always have at least one hog and half a side of beef in my freezers downstairs.

You dont know how much I wished I had that in my fridge/freezer downstairs....

Your lucky to live that way!

As for the cleaver, rehandle if your going to use it, and for the patina, maybe scrub it real hard with some steel wool but I wouldnt strip it unless it is caked on rust.... And then, I wouldnt do it with a belt sander........ We want to preserve that logo stamping. Most certainly at first, just put a real keen edge on it (prob gonna need to remove a good deal of metal).

I think you'll have a hard time finding lots to use it on (unless your in monty's situation) but that is half the fun I guess. Maybe cook ribs more often?

Good luck with it, nice piece.

JC

i wouldn't do too much to it. i regret that i polished the brass on my dad's Randalls when they came to me 5 years ago. considering that he bought them directly from Bo Randall in the 60s (he lived in Orlando at the time, so he just swung by whenever he needed knives) and hadn't polished the brass during that entire time, it'll take a long while before they look as great as they did. don't make my mistake!

I'd go with Flitz on the steel parts and I'd soak the handle in mineral oil. You might find that the handle will tighten up and that you can have a clean rust free yet patina'd blade.

DO NOT remove the spine nicks!

DO NOT grind on the cleaver to make it pretty.

Sharpen convex.

Just clean any rust off (I use bar keepers frend), and sharpen it. The handle looks tight? If it is leave it be. if it's a little wiggly you can soake it in mineral oil over night that some times swells it tight.
    Here's what a nice sharp beatty can do.

Welcome to the Beatty club

Colin, that picture is one of the most awesome cutting pictures I've ever seen!

Colin - awesome!

It never would have occured to me to soak a loose handle in mineral oil and let it swell (that's what she said). Great bit of info, guys! Really helpful thread. Now I need one of these. Anyone got one for sale?