Quantcast
Got a Beatty cleaver -- what amount of restoration is acceptable? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Beatty cleaver -- what amount of restoration is acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I'd go with Flitz on the steel parts and I'd soak the handle in mineral oil. You might find that the handle will tighten up and that you can have a clean rust free yet patina'd blade.

DO NOT remove the spine nicks!

DO NOT grind on the cleaver to make it pretty.

Sharpen convex.
    OK, got it. I'll try Barkeeper's Friend or Flitz for the rust, leave the knicks and try the mineral oil technique. It didn't occur to me to even try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    I think you'll have a hard time finding lots to use it on (unless your in monty's situation) but that is half the fun I guess. Maybe cook ribs more often?
    I'm not competing, but I do a LOT of BBQ. I have a dedicated meat freezer and have the pit fired up nearly every weekend year round. Also, a good part of my weeknight cooking is done on my kamado grill. This weekend I'll be doing 65 lbs of pulled pork, brisket and ribs for a party. I'll put it to use. :biggrin2:

colin....i wanna challenge you to a beatty cutting competiton!.....ryan

Over on the woodworking list the recommendation is to soak in raw linseed oil. It will restore the natural form of the wood cell structure and dries slowly enough to allow it to penetrate deeply, and it does dry over time, unlike mineral oil. That is what the old time wood guys do!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    colin....i wanna challenge you to a beatty cutting competiton!.....ryan
    No way I still remember what happened when Dave beat you at a Beatty cutting competition.

i was going to ask what cleaver ryan was planning to use after all not only does he have lots of them he has suckered dave and i both to clean up and hone a few

Butch I'm using this one for my fight with Ryan. This one cuts bone like butter. I cut threw the "A" pillar on a old truck one day just for fun. Keep it in my back seat of the car just incase I need the jaws of life in a pinch

O Butch Daves on my team Ryans got Ken and Mark so I need a 3rd I'd you want in I'd love to have you on my team.

that ain'tnothin....wait till u see what i keep in my backseat.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Butch I'm using this one for my fight with Ryan. This one cuts bone like butter. I cut threw the "A" pillar on a old truck one day just for fun. Keep it in my back seat of the car just incase I need the jaws of life in a pinch

That has to be on the top 5 list of what to NOT have in your car.