Quantcast
Knife Passaround ! - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Knife Passaround !

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It arrived safely today. I just opened it, and looks good. Can't wait to do some work with this.
    Chewie's the man.

Give it a quick strop or a few passes on a high grit stone. Sorry I did not get it a little better before I sent it on.

Pass-Around vs Pierre Rodrigue 300 mm (O1)

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ok first of all WOW!

I was very unprepared for what I was thinking and what this is.
    It is very light for its length. The video and pics don't do this blade justice. The scratch marks on the top part of the blade make the hamon line to pop.

The steel is very superb.. With as fatigued the cutting edge was when I got it I was very surprised that there was no chips. That being said, I have never been so afraid to scuff a blade in my life. I did do a few passes on my 5k (highest I have) but it needs to be dropped down and given a better sharpening.

The feel in hand seems like a extension to the hand/arm. When picking it up you think the handle is heavey, but the center of mass is right were the makers mark starts from the handle, which makes no sense when holding it. It gives a very sleek, agile impression in the mind of how it will react cutting.

I let a few people try it out on some onions, and they wanted to do a rocking motion. With the blade being 80-90% flat this isn't ideal for that hand motion. It is 100% a slicer which you can see in the vid I will post.

It was used on onions, tomato's, potato's, 3cold briskits, green onions, and a few more vegies that I can't remember right off the top of my head.

I want to say on one side of the tip when going over the stone.
    Name:  2012-07-29 20-53-17.565.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  22.4 KBName:  2012-07-29 20-46-59.670.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  21.8 KB
    I took a little to much off on one side.

some more pics
    Name:  2012-07-29 20-54-29.046.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.0 KBName:  2012-07-29 20-52-07.594.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  10.8 KB

And some cutting, sorry about the lighting going funky. First time using that camera at that angel. I didn't think it would turn out as well as it did.

At the end I was attempting to show how flat it really is, but I was to close for this to be really effective.

Sorry for the time I took with this. It was a very busy week for me. It being the busiest week of the year for the restaurant I work at, and getting a second job has been a little new to me. If next person on the list will pm me their address I will have this off tomorrow.

Again Maxim thx for allowing me to try this out, it has been a pleasure. I would recommend this knife and steel to others.
    Chewie's the man.

Cool !! Thanks guys that is exactly what i looking for many different opinions

Received the knife today from Crothcipt.

Safe and sound.

Rick

I used the Yoshikane for a week, comparing it to a Devein Thomas "mystery carbon" sujihiki. The two knives were pretty much the same in length, profile and grind.

I found that they were very hard to tell apart. Devin's knife was ground just a hair thinner, but that didn't translate into any perceivable difference in how the two knives cut once I had refreshed the edge on the Yoshikane.

On the stones, I found it easy to rise a burr on the SLD steel in the Yoshikane. It is very close to the SKD in the Yoshikane gyuto I have.

A week in a home kitchen isn't long enough to judge edge retention. I'll just note that I didn't feel any need to strop it at any time.

Bottom line, if I didn't already have the Devin Thomas, I'd probably pick this Yoshikane up.

Thanks, Maksim, for sending this one around. It's on its way to the next participant, ptolemy.

Rick

I am here, waiting for it. Been super busy lately, so not many posts

Knife arrived safely... What a beauty