Quantcast
Marko Tsourkan Designs 240 mm Wa Gyuto 52100 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marko Tsourkan Designs 240 mm Wa Gyuto 52100

Excellent review Harold, very enjoyable, and well done to Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    You can see the strop in the top picture. The base is dark hardwood (mahogany, maybe) with anti skid rubber feet. I'll try to take a couple of pics from other angle as well, but no promises.
    I hadn't noticed, sorry. I have a HA magnetic base, but wood makes everything better and might look so good I wouldn't mind leaving it out.

Thanks again for such a thorough (and picture filled!) review.

Thank you for the review, DH! It sounds like Marko has put the whole package together. Aside from the reactivity, how does this knife compare to the Shigefusa blade you spoke so highly of?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Thank you for the review, DH! It sounds like Marko has put the whole package together. Aside from the reactivity, how does this knife compare to the Shigefusa blade you spoke so highly of?
    On some tasks the Shigefusa has an advantage in the heavier blade and the very special grind of the blade. That said, the Marko gyuto consistently performed equal to or better than the Shig on most tasks, particularly regular prep tasks like chopping and fine dicing. The small adjustments that Marko has made to the profile really seems to play a significant role. Due to the thinner spine the Marko also wedge less than the Shig cutting the big veggies. Edge retention was as good as or better than the Shig (as far as I can remember) and the reactivity is very controlled with the 52100. The Marko quickly builds a nice and robust patina, but totally without the unpleasant reactivity of the Shig. The 52100 also appeared easier to sharpen, but the edge taken is pretty similar when fresh. It is a bit difficult to tell when I don't have them both to compare neck to neck as most differences are marginal, but Marko has really come up with a magnificent design which will suit a lot of different users.

DarKHOeK

Great Review!!! Thanks for taking the time to give us such a thorough write-up!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    On some tasks the Shigefusa has an advantage in the heavier blade and the very special grind of the blade. That said, the Marko gyuto consistently performed equal to or better than the Shig on most tasks, particularly regular prep tasks like chopping and fine dicing. The small adjustments that Marko has made to the profile really seems to play a significant role. Due to the thinner spine the Marko also wedge less than the Shig cutting the big veggies. Edge retention was as good as or better than the Shig (as far as I can remember) and the reactivity is very controlled with the 52100. The Marko quickly builds a nice and robust patina, but totally without the unpleasant reactivity of the Shig. The 52100 also appeared easier to sharpen, but the edge taken is pretty similar when fresh. It is a bit difficult to tell when I don't have them both to compare neck to neck as most differences are marginal, but Marko has really come up with a magnificent design which will suit a lot of different users.

DarKHOeK
    That sounds excellent, thanks again!

I also agree 100% with this review and that's why when I get mine it'll be my main knife. He is really making some of the best knives out there in my opinion. Also a great guy to work with, goes up and beyond for his customers.

Great review by the way!!!

Great review! I really like D handles, and Marko's look very nice. I'm glad to hear they are so well constructed.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

This is just completely awesome. I love this knife.. just as i love almost every knife posted here. (Except that rhino-knife that just got posted..)
    Really nice handle, these D-handles was a great choice to change to. (Aesthetically atleast, but i bet they're comfy too.)

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I want one!
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread