Kanemasa E series

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainaman

Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Kanemasa E series knives?
I am looking at their petty made from SK4 according to the description.
How does the steel compare to white 2 for example,harpness edge retention ease of sharpening?

Thanks

I've never tried the E-Series, but they are well regarded for an inexpensive entry into carbon; however, I have used SK-4 steel in two knives of the Fujiwara FKH line.

My impressions of SK4 is that it is really reactive...and when I say that, I don't just mean forms a patina quickly--I mean I had an issue with odors on food and slight discoloration(even after a pretty good patina was set in). It was really a bummer to me, because everything else about the knife was damn good for the price.

SK-4 sharpens up easily, but doesn't have that refinement on the stones like white #2. Also in my experience, it doesn't get as sharp and retention didn't seem as good to me. After experimenting with it a bit, my personal preference is to stick with higher-end carbon steels like shirogami, aogami , super, etc. even if they are more expensive.

The Kanemasa E series was once the biggest bang for buck knife in the world. Their recent price rise now hands that crown to the Fujiwara FKH.

I agree a lot with what J said. He summed it up pretty well. The odor and what not for some reason seemed IMO to be less with the Kanemasas than the Fujiwara. I have used both E and M series (own a 270M series suji that is GREATLY used) and my brother has a Fujiwara that I used a good bit. You definitely need to form a patina. This is one knife where forcing one is reccomended and quite easy IMO.

As J mentions it's not going to get that refined feel with higher grade carbons. And it's not going to hold the super refined edge as long. I will say if sharpened up right, it will hold a very servicable edge for some time though. I run my 270 on a fine diamond steel/ceramic and it keeps a good cutting edge for a month or so in high volume kitchen.

-bryan

I have the 300mm Suji from that line, bought under recommendation from a few of the fellows around here. It has taken a grand total of about 5 hours on the stones to get the edge to where it is now (I wont say its the greatest, but I put a new bevel on that is significantly more steep and polished the edge to a nice shine...) I use it to cut cooked protein on the line, so I cant really speak to smells and whatnot, but the thing is as sharp as I need it to be. I just got a 300 yanagiba of white #2 from the Suisin Saika line, and I would agree that they are definitely two different knives (yeah..I know they are different shapes etc...) The yanagiba really is effortless when it comes to slicing...but it is also a totally different shape, bevel, material, and price range. I would also NEVER think to take my yanagi to work, even in my little 4 man kitchen serving 50 covers/night, it would never be taken or used without my express permission but I wouldnt trust myself not to bang it up or forget to wipe it down...so the Kanemasa fills that role VERY nicely, and at the price point I would say its a good choice, but who knows Masamoto or Kikuichi might be better...someday Ill find out!

-D

Back